Underslung v rear mounted spare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underslung v rear mounted spare

Used to think the underslung was a UK spec thing, but there's plenty of trucks with surf labels on them with the underslung spare too. Was the spare location just another option the first owner could specify? Or is it to do with year/market etc?
    Andy
    http://www.surfingafrica.net

i think it must have been an option in Japan. but most 4runners you see have under spare. i prefer the rear mounted one to be honest. but i suppose it could be a bit of a pain if your in and out of the boot all the time.

Comment

I changed from underslung to rear mainly for the look but also for ease of access, the underslung was a right pain to hoist up & down, swinging out the rear is no big problem, also if ya wish to fit bigger tyres and the spare wont fit underneath the swing outs the best option
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

also if your off road good chance of it getting damaged and you not finding out about it until its time to change a tyre!

Comment

hi i have both means i can carry an extra spare when off roading and not wasteing space in the back.
          Live Life To The Full

Comment

We've got the rear one, but fitted an underslung as well. Just wondering why there were the two options - I reckon the rear one looks better too.
            Andy

Comment

Just don't put it on the roof if the arb's are off.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Had underslung on 2nd Gen,but made a swing out,got swing out on 3rd Gen. Prefer the swing out one as when reversing its a handy bump stop!!!

Swing out can be a pain if someone parks to close to you though!!
                www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

UK 4Runners are all underslung, I prefer them, means I can close garage doors and still get round front of turck! lol.

Think only the Japs got the choice of either position, don't recall ever seeing a US 4runner with a rear mounted spare either.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                    Just don't put it on the roof if the arb's are off.
                    No room up there what with the tent, the jerry cans, the spots, the wife (only on some days, you know, the bad ones)...
                    Andy

Comment

Oh Andy,when you coming back to Clog??
                      www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

The rear mount is not great for offroad, I have had to re-align my carrier after catching the spare dropping off of steep banks.
                        Keeping the spare in the boot (strapped down) when offroad is the best option.
                        Alan

Comment

Hello smiffy!!!!!! what u doing here?
                          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by smiffy View Post
                            Oh Andy,when you coming back to Clog??
                            Well we've got the second surf for out trip now, and will be visiting Scotland with ours (the other is living in the borders), so maybe bring them both over for a day in early summer? Will post at SMC too if we're planning it! Sadly costs us an arm and leg to bring it over, so end up flying most times
                            Andy

Comment

I've seen trucks, landcruisers I think with twin wheel carriers on the back for overland trips.
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X