No announcement yet.

Good garage near Edinburgh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To change the atf involves a lot of atf, draining and refilling only renews some of it, so a method to get it all out and refreshed is to fine the two pipes at the rad end, find which one is in and which one is out, ie; direction of flow through rad.
    Put the pipe with flow going back to gearbox into a large drum of fresh atf, the other pipe into a waste drum, start truck and when atf pumping out in the waste drum looks good then you have more or less flushed all the old atf out.

You will need at least 30lts of atf to this however, so not the cheap option.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

If you find your atf looks ok using andy's method above then run truck up to temp, go for a wee drive. Park truck and keep it running, check atf level, top up if needed and then with truck still running take the shift lever through all the gears and back into park and check level again, repeat steps until correct level is reached.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Right, tried that. It's definitely a light brown colour not red.

Comment

If brown does this mean that I really need to flush / change all the atf otherwise impending disaster? Or would it do to just drain and refill?

Comment

The easiest option for you I think would be to drain and refill a few times, Its not quite a complete flush, but a dilution method which gets your ATF up to a higher percentage of good fluid , without all the kerfuffle that goes with the flush and its easily do-able at the roadside or in the driveway. You could maybe do it twice in one session, giving the truck a run in between and then do the same again in a month or so. Youll see the difference in fluid colour.

Bogus
            Сви можемо

Comment

Cheers Alex, do you know if there any instructions anywhere on how to do this and how much fluid I might need to buy?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerchicken View Post
                Cheers Alex, do you know if there any instructions anywhere on how to do this and how much fluid I might need to buy?
                I think its between 4 and 5 litres that drains out when you remove the transmission drain plug, so 10 litres of ATF would let you do it twice. Theres instructions somewhere on the site , with pics, but its simple really. If your ATF levels are OK, then simply remove the drain plug ( making sure its the transmission one and not the sump) and whatever volume comes out, put back in same volume of fresh, by funnel via the transmision dipstick hole.

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

Working...
                X