Good garage near Edinburgh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good garage near Edinburgh?

Hi, I need to find a garage that knows what it's doing with surfs in the Edinburgh / Midlothian area. Just an MOT needed at the mo but it would be great to find a garage that doesn't charge the earth for things because it's an import or just throw up their hands in horror forcing you to throw your hands down in to your pockets - deep.
    Michael

What stuff do you need done mate, I'm not a garage but can do most of the mechanical stuff, cheap.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

In Denny, Stirlingshire.
      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
        What stuff do you need done mate, I'm not a garage but can do most of the mechanical stuff, cheap.
        Hi Alan funny ya should say that I first thought of "You" ... n Garage of Brian ..
        Hi Brian,

"Cos short cuts never work in the long Term"
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

I use Greenbank Garage in Loanhead for MOTs. Ive had a few odd jobs done by them on my other car, and on my daughters car, but nothing on the Surf. However its not the sort of place to do the sharp intake of breath and say ahhhh import. They regulary have 4 wheel drives of all varieties in. Its a proper garage too, not one of these fully tiled operating theatres that main dealers use.

Bogus
          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
            Woohoo, more pointing and coffee for me then
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              Woohoo, more pointing and coffee for me then
              So ya got the foremans job already then Andy
              Ya won't go far wrong with these guys Michael !!

"Cos short cuts never work in the long Term"
              Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 12 February 2010, 21:08.
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Aye foreman is right, definitely not a working chargehand
                Alan

Comment

I've made a career out of it...

Comment

I was reading the lads other thread, looks like cooling problems, gasket or head maybe.
                    Alan

Comment

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you all - been away for a couple of days.
                      Thanks for the pointers. Alan thanks for your offer - I'll be taking you up on it at some point I have no doubt!

I don't need much done really just change of oil and filters all round, a new air in take hose, a regrease of anything that needs regreased - all the usual service type stuff but I think I can manage that on my own (despite being mechanically inept!)

Thanks for your reply to my other post too regarding the radiator. -

I see in the pic it has a TOCOOL sticker, it's n ebay one or just the same as supplied on ebay, doesn't mean it's crap, just not as good as the roughtrax ones.
                      Does the coolant bubble with engine running and rad cap off?
                      Does the top hose go brick hard when the engine is up to temp?
                      Are you getting any white clouds coming from exhaust?
                      To answer your questions, the coolant doesn't bubble so I'm guessing this is a good sign and there's no white smoke, and oil isn't white when checked and I forgot to check the firmness of the top hose. Maybe it's just me being paranoid about the whole thing and it's really just fine. I've been told to expect a bit of rust in the coolant of an old engine - should I be concerned?

I also noticed that the air intake hose had a gaping hole in it. Could this have been causing issues with overheating when towing? I'll replace it with the 18 quid one from roughtrax.

Thanks again - I'll maybe check out the garage in Loanhead for the MOT.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerchicken View Post
                        I've been told to expect a bit of rust in the coolant of an old engine - should I be concerned?
                        No, a bit of rust coloured coolant is OK. Flakes of rust and or sludge is bad.

Originally posted by tigerchicken View Post
                        I also noticed that the air intake hose had a gaping hole in it. Could this have been causing issues with overheating when towing? I'll replace it with the 18 quid one from roughtrax.
                        No, a hole in an air hose won't cause overheating.

Comment

Temps go up when towing cause the atf gets hot, engine is working harder, if atf is old or needing topped up it can cause temp rise.

If you tow a lot you can fit an inline aftermarket rad for the atf.
                          Alan

Comment

oh good monday morning - I'm so glad! Best concentrate on my truck to take my mind of it

sorry Alan, I'm being slow but is "atf" automatic transmission fluid? I expect it is old but is there a way to see if it needs topping up? How would I change it and where do I get the stuff? Questions questions....

Comment

ATF= Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Get a white rag or a white bit of loo roll , go out to the truck and remove the ATF dipstick. Lay (don't rub) the pointy end of the dipstick onto the rag/loo roll, then lift it off. Look at the fluid that's on the rag, it should be nice and red, if it's brown, it's knackered.

Comment

Working...
                              X