Steering track rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering track rods

Got the parts from Milners and decided to replace the steering track rods last night.

Left hand one went no problem. Old one off, new one assembled and on in under an hour. Right one? Well lets just say getting the split pin out of the outside end proved problematic.

An hour later, an angle grinder had the whole thing apart in 5 minutes, and the new one was on in 20 minutes.

Lesson learned: sometimes, trying to gently dismantle things, when they're going in the bin anyway, is a complete waste of time. In future I'll reach for the angle grinder sooner.
    Andy
    http://www.surfingafrica.net

Indeed - i have given up using spanners/sockets when replacing exhaust parts
    - outcomes the angle grinder or reciprocating saw thesedays, saves a lot of time
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

If a split pin doesn't easily come out, just undo the nut. The pin is soft so will shear, won't damage the nut or spindle/bolt and won't be re-used anyway. The old bit of pin can then easily be removed from whatever it was in.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        If a split pin doesn't easily come out, just undo the nut. The pin is soft so will shear, won't damage the nut or spindle/bolt and won't be re-used anyway. The old bit of pin can then easily be removed from whatever it was in.
        Didn't try just removing the nut, thanks - will do that next time.

Even having cut the bolt above the pin, the remains of the pin were still stuck fast in the hole - not rusted, but almost as though there was glue in there around it. All the others fell out fine, so don't really know what was up with that one.
        Andy

Comment

They can usually be drifted or drilled out if needed.

Comment

Yet again Andy hits the nail (split pin) on the head.

I can be a bit rough with old bits coming of, kid gloves with the new stuff going on mind
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Aye, once the parts were off drilling it would have been fine. Wasn't much access while it was still on though! I'll reach for the spanner first next time, just before the angle grinder!
              Andy

Comment

If you're going to re-use the parts, you could slacken the nut to shear the pin, then re-tighten it and use the castellations as a guide for the drift or drill.

Comment

Working...
                X