speedo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo...

Looked around in various posts, but thought i would ask aswell as most of them are about it not working.

mine works up to 45mph then stays there unless i tapp the dash and it then moves up, but then wont come back down. would this be the needle sticking or would it be a new dash clock or maybe the speed sensor, not got time at moment to check as im off to chester in the work van for 4 days. All fuses are fine aswell.

Got a 2.4 automatic surf. Now i realise how much fuel they drink i kinda wish i had a manual so i could change the gear rather than wait for the damn Auto to do it, which it likes to take its sweet time! Got Overdrive off aswell.

Cant tell what colour fluid i have in the coolant, it looks clear to me, does it really make a big difference if i dont match the colour??
    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
    Looked around in various posts, but thought i would ask aswell as most of them are about it not working.

mine works up to 45mph then stays there unless i tapp the dash and it then moves up, but then wont come back down. would this be the needle sticking or would it be a new dash clock or maybe the speed sensor, not got time at moment to check as im off to chester in the work van for 4 days. All fuses are fine aswell.

Got a 2.4 automatic surf. Now i realise how much fuel they drink i kinda wish i had a manual so i could change the gear rather than wait for the damn Auto to do it, which it likes to take its sweet time! Got Overdrive off aswell.

Cant tell what colour fluid i have in the coolant, it looks clear to me, does it really make a big difference if i dont match the colour??
    How old is it? My 2.4 used to do that and it was the (mechanical) speedo cable slipping on the back of the speedo.

Leave the overdrive on unless it keeps hunting between gears. With it off, you're denying yourself your top 'cruising' gear and wasting fuel whenever you get above about 50.

Check your AT fluid if the gearchange is sluggish. The surf autobox is not too bad on changes normally.

If you're coolant is translucent, it's probably just water. At least chuck some antifreeze in there, or flush the whole system and replace it with proper red coolant, preferably Toyota. Don't mix the colours, they can react and gel.

Comment

From past experience I'd guess it's a broken mechanical speedo cable somewhere. Easy enough to check and should be cheap & easy to replace.

I was slightly worried that this thread might be about very tight swimming trunks so the truth was somewhat of a relief...!

Comment

My speedo kinda does the same. Usually happens in the morning, actually the only time it happens periodically where driving along the speedo wouldn't be registering at all then suddenly jumps into life for a while goes off again, comes back on, all while I'm travelling at a constant speed. Anyone shed any light on this? Its a 3lt 96 plate
        www.grovegarage.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by murph View Post
          My speedo kinda does the same. Usually happens in the morning, actually the only time it happens periodically where driving along the speedo wouldn't be registering at all then suddenly jumps into life for a while goes off again, comes back on, all while I'm travelling at a constant speed. Anyone shed any light on this? Its a 3lt 96 plate
          That will be electrical rather than mechanical. Only the older 2.4s have the mechanical type. I believe there is some kind of sensor on the back of the gearbox(?) that feeds the speedos on the 3.0s

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. (you wouldnt get me wearing tight swimming trunks!)

Its a '93 plate.

Ill have a check on the cable for the speedo when i get the chance to, hope its easy to do.

ill drain the coolant and replace with RED that toyota recommend. When I drain it, do i have to flush it through with some water to clear it out or should a drain be enough?

I do keep the overdrive on now because i have noticed the difference with the RPM and the cruising speeds.

Got a clicking sort of sound coming from the nearside front wheel when im on full right lock, so im guessing the CV joint maybe? re-grease it up?

Comment

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
              Got a clicking sort of sound coming from the nearside front wheel when im on full right lock, so im guessing the CV joint maybe? re-grease it up?
              Might be the CV joint, but might also just be the steering end stops. Find them and throw some grease on them, the CV joints may be fine.
              Andy
              http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
                Might be the CV joint, but might also just be the steering end stops. Find them and throw some grease on them, the CV joints may be fine.

Ill get some grease and lube them up then see if that does it.

I cant get enough of my surf!, shall never go back to a car ever again!

Of course that means keeping the girl on the road with a little TLC.

Comment

copperslip lasts a bit longer on the steering stops than grease.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                  X