Regassing aircon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
    Thanks. Where are the fittings, and where would there be an info plate? It's a 3.0 2nd gen.
    I have the same vehicle as you on a '94 plate. My R134a sticker is near the bonnet stay on the top of the front panel.

BTW. R12 is completely banned and can only be recovered by a licensed authorised dealer. The potential fines and/or prison sentences are crippling! Up to £50,000 fine and/or up to 2 years imprisonment!

As for buying a DIY kit: You can only use these kits providing you have completed the appropriate F Gas certification. Please look at this link:
    http://www.kooltrain.co.uk/
    Read the small print re training!!!

Also, there is little point in just 'topping up' with new refrigerant. System should be evacuated and cleaned with a proper service to air-con unit.
    The seals at least must be replaced!

Remember: It's illegal to vent off any refrigerant into the air!

This link will give you the date when R12 was banned.

http://www.duncanrogers.com/tools/refrigerant.php

Regards Tony.
    Last edited by TOYOTATONY; 2 February 2010, 17:45.

Comment

Originally posted by rbaz View Post
      What year did Toyota stop using R12?
      Don't know about Toyota but R12 banned on 31/12/1999 and phased out over the following year, with a complete ban by 31/12/2000

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
        See if you can get someone to put in some r413a.
        Might be cheaper, this gas will still mix with the mineral oil and carry it around the system.
        This advice is wrong on so many levels!

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post
          If your system can take the newer system, you can buy recon refill in a can, which screws onto the input nozzle.

I did it in the war departments' freelander, and it worked fine.
          Are you certificated to do this then Fey?

Comment

I have been thinking of taking my aircon out but leaving the rads and using them as extra cooling capacity there is a feed to the inlet manifold from where the rad cap is then back to the bottom hose

Comment

Originally posted by TOYOTATONY View Post
              This advice is wrong on so many levels!
              I've used ISCEON 49 in an R12 system and it was a good enough drop in replacement,
              Where did I go wrong?
              Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by TOYOTATONY View Post
                Are you certificated to do this then Fey?
                Halfords sell a top-up kit... you don't need any certificates!
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Gas type should be on a small oblong yellow label near to your bonet release catch.
                  If newer type halfords do a complete regas can for £40 with pressure gauge.
                  if yours is cooling the air a bit but would like it colder then the chances are only some of the gas has escaped and you can buy a top up can for £20ish.

BTW car aircon system gas will and does leak eventualy from all systems over a few years - so just because your level maybe low - does not mean you a have a significant problem.
                  I top up mine every other year or so.
                  Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                    I've used ISCEON 49 in an R12 system and it was a good enough drop in replacement,
                    Where did I go wrong?
                    Hi,
                    Anything to do with R12, a CFC gas, over here in the UK is banned and you must be certificated to touch any kind of air-con system or refrigerant.
                    I don't know what is, or is not allowed in Serbia, however, using the drop-in R413a(Mo 49) is correct for R12. (Has to be in liquid form.)
                    (There are drop-in gases for most if not all common use refrigerants.)
                    The point is that you can't do this in the UK and I thought you might inadvertantly confuse the issue. No offence.
                    Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by TOYOTATONY
                      I have the same vehicle as you on a '94 plate. My R134a sticker is near the bonnet stay on the top of the front panel.
                      Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
                      Gas type should be on a small oblong yellow label near to your bonet release catch.
                      If newer type halfords do a complete regas can for £40 with pressure gauge.
                      if yours is cooling the air a bit but would like it colder then the chances are only some of the gas has escaped and you can buy a top up can for £20ish.
                      Just checked, we've got R413a, so all good. Will just get it topped up then
                      Andy
                      http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Open the windows and drive faster,global warming is not gonna happen that quick!

Comment

Originally posted by noobysurfer View Post
                          Open the windows and drive faster,global warming is not gonna happen that quick!
                          what global warming

Comment

Originally posted by noobysurfer View Post
                            In a year's time we'll be crossing the Sahara, then on beyond the equator in the hot season...
                            Andy
                            http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                              Halfords sell a top-up kit... you don't need any certificates!
                              According to the powers that be...if you are replacing a refrigerant, you do!

We were not talking about top-up kits.

added: Been doing some research and the general concensus is that top-up kits are "rubbish", "potentially dangerous as it's easy to lose gas to air", & too easy to overgas causing damage to air con unit.

Also, the Refrigerantion Industry Watchdog is looking at Halfords as they may be in breach of the Environmental Health Act!

Refrigerants are harmful, sometimes dangerous & can kill!
                              Last edited by TOYOTATONY; 2 February 2010, 19:56.

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
                                In a year's time we'll be crossing the Sahara, then on beyond the equator in the hot season...
                                Where are you going?

I'm half thinking of doing Morocco - Mauritania - Mali - Burkina Faso - Ghana and back again (If my travel friend is up for it) in 2011 but I will be going in Feb / March.
                                I Love Wales

Comment

Working...
                                X