Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil?

Hi folks, my apologies if this seems like a stupid question but here goes.......
    My oil gauge says nearly empty so I went to buy some more this afternoon (it previously had 10w 40 in it) unfortunately all they had was 15w 40, my question is can I put this in on top of the remaining 10w 40 oil or will it goose my engine?

Cheers
    Paul

Hi mate, I assume by oil gauge you mean your lifting the bonnet and using the dipstick to check the oil level and not the gauge on the dash board.

Anyhow It wont do any harm, engines love fresh oil so topping up should not be a problem.

Also (stating the obvious) only dip the truck after she has been sitting parked engine off for a while say 20 min, as oil may still be sitting up in the head etc and the reading will be wrong
    Last edited by Vultch; 29 January 2010, 17:55.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
      Hi mate, I assume by oil gauge you mean your lifting the bonnet and using the dipstick to check the oil level and not the gauge on the dash board.

Anyhow It wont do any harm, engines love fresh oil so topping up should not be a problem.

Also (stating the obvious) only dip the truck after she has been sitting parked engine off for a while say 20 min, as oil may still be sitting up in the head etc and the reading will be wrong
      Aye sorry I meant the one on the dash, the dipstick seems to indicate that it's quite low as well but I have just been out in it so i'll check it again after a cuppa .

Cheers
      Paul

Comment

The one on the dash is oil pressure...now it depends on a few things (engine temp and work being done by the engine rpm etc )

When the engine is working you want to see oil pressure

if the engines hot and your sitting stationary at lights it might read close to zero, as long as the needle moves up a bit when your driving your ok.

When cold mine is over halfway up but as the engine warms it sinks down to just about the first mark on the gauge.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

The one on the dash has little to do with oil level. Its an indication of oil pressure.
          Its important that you regularly check the level ( from the dipstick) and keep an eye on the gauge for any unusual abnormal changes.

Bogus
          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
            The one on the dash is oil pressure...now it depends on a few things (engine temp and work being done by the engine rpm etc )

if the engines hot and your sitting at lights it might read close to zero, as long as the needle moves up a bit when your driving your ok.
            When cold mine is over halfway up but as the engine warms it sinks down to just about the first mark on the gauge.

Magic, thanks for that mate, I always keep a sharp eye on it anyway after blowing the head on my polo last feb. mind you it was -14 at the time but very inconvenient as I was on my way to Inverness airport to catch a flight to Prague to see her indoors, I just made the flight by the skin of my knackers but it cost me £600 to put right. 8 months after that I rolled the wee bugger into a river which is why I now have the surf

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
              The one on the dash has little to do with oil level. Its an indication of oil pressure.
              Its important that you regularly check the level ( from the dipstick) and keep an eye on the gauge for any unusual abnormal changes.

Bogus
              Cheers fella, was starting to worry a wee bit as i'm off down to my ma's in Edinburgh next wednesday and didn't fancy a night in a lay-by on the A9

Paul

Comment

How long since the last oil change - the recommendation is to change the oil every 5000km

If the oil's thinned out then the oil pressure will be lower ....

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                X