Fuel heater question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel heater question

Because my truck has a fuel heater does that mean I can run it on a diesel and veg oil mix?, Paul

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
    Because my truck has a fuel heater does that mean I can run it on a diesel and veg oil mix?, Paul
    Diesel is £1.25 a litre in shetland at the mo, so this would be very helpful, Paul

Comment

Yes.
      You can run it on a veg oil/diesel mix without a fuel heater, depends on how cold the weather is as to what ratio.

Comment

Ok cool, I'll maybe just try a couple of litres at first to see how it runs, Thanks for the info, Paul

Comment

40% Veg gels at about -12 centigrade.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

If I do say a 50/50 mix would i have to use any addatives?
            Sorry for all the questions but it's the first vehical I have owned that it's possible to use alternative fuel, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
              If I do say a 50/50 mix would i have to use any addatives?
              Sorry for all the questions but it's the first vehical I have owned that it's possible to use alternative fuel, Paul
              No, but it will gel. Even if you have a heater it will still gel overnight or during the day if it's cold enough.

Whilst you don't 'Have' to use additives, some of that Mille(a)r's ECO stuff and a liter of unleaded per 20L of Veg will help.

Comment

I think I will try the method of just a couple of litres to a tank for a few months to see how it goes, I have just fitted all new filters the last thing i need is the fuel filter and fuel lines getting choked up, I take it it's just trial and error till you start haveing starting prob's from what I have read in other posts?

Comment

No it's not trial and error. Read the post before,albannach has given you some sterling advice.
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Cheers for the advice, Bushwaker, Albannach and gwh200

Comment

I ran mine on veg for years.
                      if it makes things easier to calculate - here's my general rule of thumb that served me well for 5 years.

the tank is approx 60 litres, and i bought veg oil in 20 litre drums - roughly a 1/3 of the tank.
                      in winter - late oct to march i ran on 1 drum oil to 2 drums diesel ( 33% veg)
                      and in the summer months i ran 2 drums veg to 1 drum diesel (66% veg)
                      whatever the ratio I always added 3 litres of unleaded per full tank (5%)
                      I ran for years like this - but as albanach said - depends on how cold your winters are. I live on the durham coast where temps rarely get below -3'.
                      I fitted an old combi boiler flat plate heat exchanger to my incoming fuel line, just before the filter, to heat my fuel to around 65'C.

Last year I took the plunge and built myself a GL biodiesel processor. cost me around £200 to build but now make biodiesel for around 7p per litre. i run 100% bio all year no probs.
                      Last edited by jaky cakes; 19 January 2010, 11:37.
                      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Would you let me know if you can smell the veg oil in the exhaust fumes with only a couple of litres in?

Comment

Originally posted by rbaz View Post
                          Would you let me know if you can smell the veg oil in the exhaust fumes with only a couple of litres in?
                          Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                            Yes
                            go on then!
                            hehehe!!
                            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I'm off to tesco for my first trial, hopefully it's cheaper than the £1.25 i am paying for derv

Comment

Working...
                              X