Insurance -What a PITA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    I'd be wary if my insurance document didn't say exactly what I have. Mine specifically says that I have a modified Surf.

If they get arsey at any point, your insurance is not valid. You don't have a 4-Runner, you have a Surf.
    You are correct Andy, But in my case I also told them I was a vicar, it was always in a locked garage and I only drove 2000 miles a year.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
      Swinton done me a great deal, I think they called it a 4 Runner.
      Swinton quoted me > £700 (and I insure my motorcycle with them), although I was careful to point out it was a Surf/import.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
        That is almost exactly what it says on my insurance certificate - "4-Runner (Japanese Import)".

I've been insured with LV for 5 or 6 years (and 2 claims) and never had the slightest glimmer of them trying to avoid paying out. My dad has been with them (or their forerunners if you'll excuse the pun!) since the 1960s and had nothing but praise for them, which is rare enough for an insurance company!

I'll give them a try in the AM then and see what they say -cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkS View Post
          I too seldom post but feel the need to comment on this.

Adrian Flux, despite numerous recommendations are a joke. I always do the ring round at renewal time regardless of the renewal cost. I am yet to find anyone who actually uses them.

The latest quote (after eventually identifying a "Hilux Surf" import thing) was £2000, the previous year was quoted at £1500.

I am currently with A-Plan, no drama whatsoever and I have the Surf and an 1800 Vauxhall insured with them, both fully comp and @ the fat end of 40 years old with full no claims comes in at just over £500 for both, only a few quid more than the previous years cover.
          I've called A-Plan as well, but not heard back yet (she said she'd look and get back to me). I'll prompt them again tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
            Try LV (Liverpool Victoria). Especially if you're entitled to join the CSMA for any reason (google CSMA to see if you can join).

Even if you can't use the above possibilities try just saying that you've got a Toyota 4-Runner (given that is the UK model). It's what I got my insurance through LV with cos they were confused over what a Toyota Surf was and they were great when I had a Jap import Celica (and wrote it off in a head on crash - my fault - fully comp insurance - I had the money in my bank account less than a week after the accident!)
            LV should know what a Surf is !!!!
            I've had both mine with them over 8 years now ..
            FYI.. If ya been any sort of Civil servant or ex CS (CSMA) they should do it !! Good Luck

There's always a Payback..Cos ya don't know where n ya never know when !!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              I'd be wary if my insurance document didn't say exactly what I have. Mine specifically says that I have a modified Surf.

If they get arsey at any point, your insurance is not valid. You don't have a 4-Runner, you have a Surf.
              If I may just add to that Andy, it should be worded Toyota Surf (Import)
              Most seem to recognise the word "Import" even if they don't recognise Surf ..

There's always a Payback .. Cos ya don't know where n ya never know when !!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by CheGuevara View Post
                I've called A-Plan as well, but not heard back yet (she said she'd look and get back to me). I'll prompt them again tomorrow.
                Try this number mate...01635 874 646 They have a dedicated import dept.

I've never had a problem, they have my motor as an Hilux Surf Import identified without issue.

Oddly, I still have to produce the logbook for an MOT which is strange but, DVLA are always aware when the Tax is due??

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                  If I may just add to that Andy, it should be worded Toyota Surf (Import)
                  Yep, it does say Import too.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Mine is insured with PRIVELEDGE (spelling?????)
                    they were cheap, and correctly identified the truck on the phone and on the documentation. Give them a try.
                    Alan

You dont have to be posh to be priveledged
                    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by CheGuevara View Post
                      I seldom post, but after 2 days of ringing around for insurance I need a minor vent.

I bought my Surf ('94 3.0 TD) last Jan and after a few calls I managed to insure through Direct Line for £330. At time I was still on my Canadian driver's license, and Direct Line honoured what would effectively be my Canadian no-claims bonus as I could provide a letter from my insurer showing no claims for the last 7 years (as far as their records go -although I've been driving since 1987 with no incidents).

I was happy too when the gave us a multi-car discount when I insured my Honda Civic with them a couple of weeks later.

Well our renewal notices have arrived and they've jacked our rates up nearly 50%!! My Hilux is quoted at £479 and they say they can't do anything on the price, despite the fact that they stand to lose out on renewals for 2 cars this month.

So I've been ringing around and surfing websites looking for new quotes, trying to get close to what I had last year. I've made probably a dozen or so calls now and at least as many websites. I checked with providers recommended on this site including Adrian Flux who quoted me > £3000! No that's not an extra zero on there.

I got onto Tesco's site after reading oen thread here, and things were looking pretty good. When I searched my reg though it came back as a Landcruiser, but with the right 3L motor and Auto trans at least. The price came back at £275! Bargain! I'll just ring them up and get the model changed to a Surf. Now the price is £425 because I don't get the online discount! Can they fix the model in the system so when I go back to m online quote I can enter it properly? Nope...

Why is it that this vehicle doesn't come up properly in all the insurance systems?! It's been in the country since 2005...

Another part of my problem is that I'm now on a UK license (required after driving here for a year on my Canadian license), which I've now held for a year. I have 5 years no claims from DL (the max they offer apparently) though in writing. Try and enter 5 years no claims when you have to enter your license as UK- Full held for 1 year... doesn't generaly work, so I have to ring up, and I'm still only credited for holding a license for a year, whereas last year I was credited with holding a foreign license for 22 years!

Anyhow, owing to my somewhat unique circumstances I don't expect anyone here will have any advice, but if you do, I'd be happy to hear it. Mostly I just wanted to vent. Oh, and Adrian Flux is not that great.. £3000(!!!) and I still had to spend 10 minutes explaining what a Hilux Surf was!
                      One word:

Roadsure!
                      Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

So after all that, I rang Direct Line back to get some extra info, and this time they came back with a price of £340, which is abut £40 or so more than last year (I still don't get that), but a lot better than previously and better than about any other quote I'd had. I accepted and was just happy to have it over with (I can coun't how many times I've provided my info over the last few days).

5 mins later I checked my email again and got a quote back from Noel Dazely for £320 with free legal! Typical. I will definitely inquire with them when the other car is up later this month and when the bike is due in March.

Comment

i have been doing the ringing around to get sorted for my surf and i called Adrian Flux they did a fair price for me and as they are a broker its really with NIG.
                          i asked them about the problems people are getting when calling and not knowing about us someone's going to call me back.
                          Show me where the trench is at or can i make one!

Comment

I’m pretty sure that my insurance document lists mine as a Toyota 4 Runner/Surf.

I use the broker in our town as they always seem to have the best prices. Family have been with them for years.
                            I did have a look at various comparison websites last year... one problem that seemed to keep cropping up was that there was no listing for the 3:0 V6 Petrol’s, only the common stinky diesels
                            Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

The issue here was the driving licence and not the vehicle. We had the same issue when we returned to the UK. We bought a Montego for £600 and the insurance was £620! That was the days before the Internet and they could rip you off well & truly.
                              I am with A-plan and no issues. I was always ask for a quote on a Toyota HiLux Surf (import). Generally most find it then as the key word is "Hilux".

Comment

insurance

just had my quote in from lifesure, £254 fully comp inc legal cover, personnel injury etc, then contacted adrian flux they wanted £250 without legal cover etc, so stayed with lifesure well pleased.
                                15 years in shiny club, lovely

Comment

Working...
                                X