Drowning a Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drowning a Surf

I was reading on a 4 x 4 forum and came across this; http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=48232

What would happen if you drowned a Surf as the older ones have very little in the way of electronics. Not sure about the auto boxes however.

As long as no water was sucked in through the air filter, it should just need drying out. Especially the alternator.
    The ECUs are behind the kick panels and the doors generally have good seals, so it depends how deep you went and for how long really.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      As long as no water was sucked in through the air filter, it should just need drying out. Especially the alternator.
      The ECUs are behind the kick panels and the doors generally have good seals, so it depends how deep you went and for how long really.
      At thsi point in my life I have no wish to experiment with my Surf and will leave that to those that are braver than me.

Comment

This is going to sound a bit childish but whats the deepest you could go in a surf in water & still be able to drive through to the other side of whatever it is your crossing? Obviously im talking about a surf with a snorkel.
        Anybody drive through seriously deep water & come out the other side? Did water blast in through the door seals or foot-wells?

Sorry for slightly hijacking your thread surf01!!!!!

Comment

No probelm as I probably would have asked the same question anyway. A while back ther was clip of a guy driving a small 4 x 4 in to a lake and totlaly submerged it and was using a snorkel for the driver to breathe.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
            No probelm as I probably would have asked the same question anyway. A while back ther was clip of a guy driving a small 4 x 4 in to a lake and totlaly submerged it and was using a snorkel for the driver to breathe.
            Deepest ive ever been through was a fairly wimpy 2 to 2.5ft during a bit of local flooding. Wanted to go deeper but i dont have a snorkel. Get water into your air filter & its goodbye engine.
            I have a bit of a fascination with driving through water at the minute??!
            Have to get a snorkel.

Comment

not only will you need a snorkle but you will need to extend your gearbox and axle breathers,a bit of vaseline on the door seals works wonders too.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                not only will you need a snorkle but you will need to extend your gearbox and axle breathers,a bit of vaseline on the door seals works wonders too.
                Huh??? what & where are they?

Comment

Apache waded into water so deep his (lifted) Surf began floating and he skipped across the bottom no problem.
                  Ive had mine in to water over the bonnet
                  Driving style is important too, you dont just go splashing in (Evildwarf)
                  私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Not forgetting this...!

Not a Surf, I know. But it IS a Toybota...!

Comment

Originally posted by fonecrusher1 View Post
                      whats the deepest you could go in a surf in water & still be able to drive through to the other side ?
                      This deep.....

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99 View Post
                        This deep.....

So did some water get in?

Is that your daily driver?

Comment

Originally posted by fonecrusher1 View Post

Is that your daily driver?
                          No, it's my daily diver.

I'll get my coat....

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99 View Post

I'll get my coat....
                            ....Yeah & close the door on the way out.

Comment

Working...
                            X