Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did'nt know that!!!

TAKEN from another forum.

What mobile phone works if there is no signal? I'll have one!

112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the police because 999 does not work if you have no signal

I know you don’t all live in Dorset but a mobile is a mobile where ever you live. I didn't know about 112 did you?

A bit of useful advice - verified by the Dorset Police.
    The number does work from a mobile.

This actually happened to someone's daughter. Lauren was 19 yrs old and in college.
    This story takes place over the Christmas/New Year's holiday break.

It was the Saturday before New Year and it was about 1.00pm in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend, when an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put its lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc.
    So Lauren remembered her parents' advice, and telephoned 112 from her mobile phone.
    This connected her to the police dispatcher she told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing blue light on his rooftop behind her and that she would not pull over right away but wait until she was in a service station or busy area.
    The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way.
    Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.
    One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind.
    They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground........the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.
    I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car.
    Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a 'safe' place.
    You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them I.e., put on your hazard lights) or call 112 like Lauren did.
    Too bad the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information.
    So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112 (112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the police because 999 does not work if you have no signal).
    This is good information that I did not know!

Please pass on to all your friends, especially any females.

As far as I am aware, 112 uses a system called triangulation so they can also pinpoint exactly where you are phoning from.

Gman.

I really hope you don't have to use it, be safe,
    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Your phone still needs a signal, as it cannot communicate with anything without one.

112 is an internationally accepted emergency number, whereas 999 isn't. The advice is still valid if using a GSM phone though, especially if one is not in the UK.
    Last edited by Albannach; 10 January 2010, 23:39.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

All GSM/GPRS/CDMA triangulates the cellular signal distribution, this is used to track the device to ensure it is in a signal area on the providers network, and is a mechanism to support roaming, it was only later in the development of mobile telephony that it started being used to pinpoint a device for tracking/finding it. The range of accuracy is approx 10-15 mtrs.
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Hi guys,

OOOO.KKKAA.YYY. does that mean it works or is it a myth?

Gman.
        If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

112 works on a GSM phone. Triangulation works, but the phone needs a signal. The story is BS.

Comment

I call fake!! Anything spread around with a lame story like that is probably B/S

(the signal bit, 112 is a EU wide emergancy number, but you stiill need a signal)
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I'm guessing the story is mostly rubish except for the part about dialling 112.

You can dial either 112 or 999 in the UK and will be connected to the emergency services. As above, 112 is just a standard European number for the emergency services which can be dialled on any EU country. The bit about not needing a signal is almost true. A call to either number will be accepted by any network operator that has signal in the area. So if you are with O2 and don't have any signal the your phone will automatically connect to another network to make the call. You would have to be pretty remote not to be covered by any network.

Btw, you can also make a 112/999 call on a mobile phone even without a SIM card in it.

Comment

The 112 emergency number can work if you have no signal showing. The system will use any available network to make a 112 call, not just the network your SIM is on. So if you're on orange with no signal on your phone, but are within coverage from another network the call will work.

Note to self: Read all posts thoroughly before replying!
                Last edited by Streetsurfer; 11 January 2010, 12:56. Reason: Can't read.

Comment

Am I missing something here? Did I not say all this in posts 2 and reiterate it in post 5?

Or am I invisible again

Comment

Did some guy from Denny say something... I tried 112 and 999 at work today, neither worked. There is no mobile coverage at all.
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                      Did some guy from Denny say something... I tried 112 and 999 at work today, neither worked. There is no mobile coverage at all.
                      Make a small fire using old tyres and waft a thick blacket over it to send a message.

Comment

It does work.

It uses a secret CIA satellite, which they use to triangulate your position. they can read your thoughts via the same network.

Pass it on to all your friends or :-

a) It will WIPE the CONTENTS of your HARD DRIVE
                        b) Spik your commy
                        c) You'll have bad luck forever

Now where's my tinfoil, I need to make an aluminium beanie!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          Make a small fire using old tyres and waft a thick blacket over it to send a message.
                          Phew.... Thanks vince. Only problem is the old tyres... They never chuck anything away here... May have to use a sheep.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                            It does work.

It uses a secret CIA satellite, which they use to triangulate your position. they can read your thoughts via the same network.

Pass it on to all your friends or :-

a) It will WIPE the CONTENTS of your HARD DRIVE
                            b) Spik your commy
                            c) You'll have bad luck forever

Now where's my tinfoil, I need to make an aluminium beanie!

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                              Am I missing something here? Did I not say all this in posts 2 and reiterate it in post 5?

Or am I invisible again
                              who said that

you must be on some ignore list ,

john
                              i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

Working...
                              X