Fuel consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel consumption

What is the anticipated fuel consumption for my KZN 185, under normal use and when towing a caravan.

You'll get differing answers from 20 to 30 mpg. all depending on how and where you drive.
    The best I have got is 30, that was on a 1500 mile motorway run, and I kept it around 70-75.
    Short trips and around the city I think I have dropped into the low 20's.
    (I only use diesel, no veg mix)

There's loads of threads on here concerning that issue.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/se...earchid=919280
    Last edited by slobodan; 11 January 2010, 11:34.
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Towing a caravan, you will be lucky to see 17mpg. Normal use probably about 25mpg.
      En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

I get 20-25 around town, 25-28 on a run (had 32 once, sticking at 60 all the way from swindon to glasgow) and 20-25mpg towing a 5-birth swift on a long run. 10-15mpg ragging around in muddy fields!

Comment

I'm only getting about 17mpg at the moment!

It's only 8 miles to work and I don't think the truck warms up properly until it's done about 5 miles in this weather, hence the low mpg.

During the warmer months I normally get 25mpg on average.
          'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
            I'm only getting about 17mpg at the moment!

It's only 8 miles to work and I don't think the truck warms up properly until it's done about 5 miles in this weather, hence the low mpg.

During the warmer months I normally get 25mpg on average.
            You may as well fit a V8 then!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              You may as well fit a V8 then!
              Ok then.
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

We towed a twin axle caravan with MPTLM of 1650 kgs and get on average 22mpg on a long run. Travelling to work and back I get avarage 30mpg. Around town is the killer as it drops down to about 24mpg as the turbo does not drop out.
                Last edited by Surf01; 11 January 2010, 16:19.

Comment

I can get about 31 mpg max if i drive like a granny.
                  17mpg is pretty bad to be honest, whens the last time you got her serviced?
                  When i first got my surf i tended to forget that i was driving a fairly big vehicle so i was getting sh1te fuel economy. Put the foot down in a car that weighs close to 2.5 tons & it'l guzzle the diesel, obviously.
                  You would be surprised at how much money you can save if you adopt a more economical style of driving.
                  Small things like turning off the engine when you know your going to be stopped at traffic lights for a while. It all helps.

Comment

Originally posted by fonecrusher1 View Post
                    I can get about 31 mpg max if i drive like a granny.
                    17mpg is pretty bad to be honest, whens the last time you got her serviced?
                    When i first got my surf i tended to forget that i was driving a fairly big vehicle so i was getting sh1te fuel economy. Put the foot down in a car that weighs close to 2.5 tons & it'l guzzle the diesel, obviously.
                    You would be surprised at how much money you can save if you adopt a more economical style of driving.
                    Small things like turning off the engine when you know your going to be stopped at traffic lights for a while. It all helps.
                    Full service in August just before I set off for Yoshies Skye trip. New fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, engine oil, diff oil and propshaft seals (not that they make any difference to fuel economy).

I never drive with a heavy foot, accelerate and brake gently. Must be the short journeys in cold weather. Just before I garaged the car for the winter the mpg dropped from 44 to 36.

Never had a good run in the Surf for about a month, as I said earlier just start it up the morning drive 8 miles to work and stop. Out of work start it up and drive home, it's a climb up to work then drop down then a climb back and drop down, hardly ever gets a chance to shift up into overdrive.

Also got to remember added height with body lift, 33" tyres and a bull bar that weighs half a ton don't help either!
                    Last edited by Scorpion; 11 January 2010, 20:32.

Comment

Full service in August just before I set off for Yoshies Skye trip. New fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, engine oil, diff oil and propshaft seals (not that they make any difference to fuel economy).

I never drive with a heavy foot, accelerate and brake gently. Must be the short journeys in cold weather. Just before I garaged the car for the winter the mpg dropped from 44 to 36.

Never had a good run in the Surf for about a month, as I said earlier just start it up the morning drive 8 miles to work and stop. Out of work start it up and drive home, it's a climb up to work then drop down then a climb back and drop down, hardly ever gets a chance to shift up into overdrive.

Also got to remember added height with body lift, 33" tyres and a bull bar that weighs half a ton don't help either!
                      Obviously she's in tip top condition mechanically. Probably in better nick than mine. Ive never changed my diff oil.
                      Must be the big tyres & bumper?

I have 32" mud tyres & a 2.5" lift but i still get well over 25mpg on average. I have a 3rd gen by the way.

Comment

Is everywhere downhill where you live?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          Is everywhere downhill where you live?
                          Sorry Vince, you've lost me with that one mate.

Comment

Sorry Vince, you've lost me with that one mate.
                            44 to 36 mpg???

Comment

I think he meant from his car and not the Surf, Vince.
                              En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Working...
                              X