help, with little red button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help, with little red button

hey guys girls !! can anyone help me with my 94 plate surf ssrx 3.0td manual, its got a button on the transfer box gear stick but it dont seem to do anything, i was told it for the center diff lock but then i told it aint got one !!!! help please lol cheers.

Originally posted by alexander View Post
    hey guys girls !! can anyone help me with my 94 plate surf ssrx 3.0td manual, its got a button on the transfer box gear stick but it dont seem to do anything, i was told it for the center diff lock but then i told it aint got one !!!! help please lol cheers.
    Hi and welcome see here for some faq

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

there is no centre diff on a 2nd gen surf.
      Your thread is a bit confusing as the title states the red button which is in front of the gear selector but in the thread your on about the button on the ho/lo lever in which that button in for the 4wd in Hi ratio.Do not press it unless you are on slippery or loose ground as these trucks cannot use 4wd on the road unless snow/ice etc
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
        Hi and welcome see here for some faq

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34
        you beat all the hounds , this time
        i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

little red button?

i had a 2.4 auto surf... the little red button above the transfer lever is to release the gear lever when the truck is turned off!!! take the keys out and it all locks and you wont be able to shift it out or "park" unless you press it. hope this helps
          Last edited by tomtrux; 11 January 2010, 21:13. Reason: people amusing themselves at my expense... not my fault i rambled on at a possible reason for the stupid button!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tomtrux View Post
            i had a 2.4 auto surf... the little red button above the transfer lever is to release the gear lever when the truck is turned off!!! take the keys out and it all locks and you wont be able to shift it out or "park" unless you press it. just a safety precaution i think... dont wanna accidentally knock it into gear then try to start it in drive, i imagine a locking method is cheaper than getting the gearbox to not let the engine start if its in gear??? hope this helps
            The engine won't start if it's in gear. The red button is so you can take the stereo out when the engine's not running. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtrux View Post
              i had a 2.4 auto surf... the little red button above the transfer lever is to release the gear lever when the truck is turned off!!! take the keys out and it all locks and you wont be able to shift it out or "park" unless you press it. just a safety precaution i think... dont wanna accidentally knock it into gear then try to start it in drive, i imagine a locking method is cheaper than getting the gearbox to not let the engine start if its in gear??? hope this helps
              If it had even been close to accurate it might have.

However post 2 kind of covered it all don't you think
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                If it had even been close to accurate it might have.

However post 2 kind of covered it all don't you think
                The first half was accurate

Although, in fact, 'accurate' and 'correct' are not the same thing. Something can be both accurate and wrong if the initial information was incorrect but passed on accurately.

Comment

sorry, i not a 94 plate, its a 96 plate gen 3, 3.0td manual box, button is on the transfer box lever ??? thanks for your replies guys but still cant find what it does !!!!

Comment

Does it say '4wd' on it?

Comment

there's a black button in the side of the transfer lever... that puts it in 4wd with centre diff open.
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

sancho !! it does say 4 wd on it but it dont seem to make any difference, i tried on different surfaces to see if traction changed, pressing the button did not lock any diffs up !!!! how do i find out if it has a diff lock or it has wrong gear knob ???? cheers ps are there diff locks on any surfs ???

Comment

sancho !! it does say 4 wd on it but it dont seem to make any difference, i tried on different surfaces to see if traction changed, pressing the button did not lock any diffs up !!!! how do i find out if it has a diff lock or it has wrong gear knob ???? cheers ps are there diff locks on any surfs ???
                          I don't actually know about 3rd gens, but Matt says above that it puts it into 4wd with the centre diff open. You won't notice much difference under normal driving conditions.

Comment

cheers !! thanks for your help !!

Comment

there should be some clicks and clunks... the 4 green lights (diagram of 4 wheels) on the dash will flash and then stay on when it's engaged.
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X