How to combat the expected -8C ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to combat the expected -8C ?

Last night I started up my other truck and topped it up with more antifreeze. But I am pretty sure it's not suitable for -8c. I know there is a drain plug somwhere but in the dark I couldnt see it, even with a torch I couldnt see or feel where it is. On the 3.0 its right there obvious.

Does anyone have a picture I can go on? I would rather drain all of the water out of the rad and block. But then I will have the air lock issue.

Would simply leaving the rad cap off help at all?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

what colour is your antifreeze?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
      Last night I started up my other truck and topped it up with more antifreeze. But I am pretty sure it's not suitable for -8c. I know there is a drain plug somwhere but in the dark I couldnt see it, even with a torch I couldnt see or feel where it is. On the 3.0 its right there obvious.

Does anyone have a picture I can go on? I would rather drain all of the water out of the rad and block. But then I will have the air lock issue.

Would simply leaving the rad cap off help at all?
      If you have the original radiator then there is a drian plug on the n/s bottom of the rad. I noticed however that the Roughtrax radiator doesn't have a drain valve.
      You could disconnect the top pipe which will remove some of the contents so you can get more anti frezze in , but I think that unless you run the engine the antifreeze won't get mixed with the coolent properly.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by darkdezigns View Post
        what colour is your antifreeze?
        The antifreeze is blue, but the water isnt the colour you would expect because I think it needs a little more. Its definitely not 50/50, but you can taste there is plenty of antifreeze in there..
        Can you tell Im guessing.
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
          If you have the original radiator then there is a drian plug on the n/s bottom of the rad. I noticed however that the Roughtrax radiator doesn't have a drain valve.
          You could disconnect the top pipe which will remove some of the contents so you can get more anti frezze in , but I think that unless you run the engine the antifreeze won't get mixed with the coolent properly.
          I have a new roughtrax rad. I thought this but wasnt sure.
          Does red and blue antifreeze mix?

What a palava. I spent a good while last night swapping batteries to start the other surf up. Looks like I'll be doing it again. I've tried using jump leads but they arnt thick enough to hold the cranking power.
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

No {red and blue}
            Last edited by yoshie; 5 January 2010, 15:55.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              No
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

-8 Centigrade? I'd put a fleece on, or a sweatshirt, but not both.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

You can leave the rad cap off to give to coolant room to expand if you're concerned about it freezing.
                      The same with airlocks, leaving the cap off overnight allows any air in the system to bubble out.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                        I have a new roughtrax rad. I thought this but wasnt sure.
                        Does red and blue antifreeze mix?

What a palava. I spent a good while last night swapping batteries to start the other surf up. Looks like I'll be doing it again. I've tried using jump leads but they arnt thick enough to hold the cranking power.
                        FYI ...
                        Tip
                        Connect jump leads as per a "jumpstart"
                        Start ya helper Truck n idle up, leave running for about 15 - 20 minutes...
                        I normally disconnect jump leads now n try n start slave vehicle (you'll know if it's any different)
                        If the slave vehicle won't START but ya notice it's not as flat n slow as was previously, reconnect Jump leads n Try a JUMP START ...
                        If that's no go, repeat previous procedure again !!
                        Good Luck

There's always a Payback ..Cos ya don't know where n ya never know when !!
                        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          You can leave the rad cap off to give to coolant room to expand if you're concerned about it freezing.
                          The same with airlocks, leaving the cap off overnight allows any air in the system to bubble out.
                          Thanks Vince. I couldn't remember if I had read this before or been told it (or whether I had dreamt it, as that sometimes happens )

I'll do this when I get home, as it won't be moving for some time until after my holiday. Off to Egypt on Thursday. That's if Gatwick isn't shut due to snow
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                            FYI ...
                            Tip
                            Connect jump leads as per a "jumpstart"
                            Start ya helper Truck n idle up, leave running for about 15 - 20 minutes...
                            I normally disconnect jump leads now n try n start slave vehicle (you'll know if it's any different)
                            If the slave vehicle won't START but ya notice it's not as flat n slow as was previously, reconnect Jump leads n Try a JUMP START ...
                            If that's no go, repeat previous procedure again !!
                            Good Luck

There's always a Payback ..Cos ya don't know where n ya never know when !!
                            Thanks for this. But whats happened is that both batteries died and wont charge! So even leaving my other surf connected for over half an hour, didnt do much. I even took one of the batteries and put it in my 3.0 and drove about then come back and left it ticking over but no luck, so the battery is knackered I think. I'll buy two more once I get round to fixing everything. Should have more time in 2010
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

just disconnect a hose till, say, a litre has drained out, then top up with neat antifreeze...

just a warning with antifreeze, cats will drink it if you leave it lying around... and then they die... it makes the neighbours go nuts!!
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X