Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel/ Vegetable Oil fuel sellers in Lancashire

Guys,
    Do you know if anyone who sells taxed biodiesel (refined vegetable oil) to the public? The seller needs to be based in Lancashire, the nearer to Preston the better.

I am not looking forward to the looming price hikes for dino-juice and would like to start preparing my escape routes NOW.

Warmest Regards
    Udhi

Well, I put 'bio diesel Lancashire' in Google and this was the first to pop up,

http://www.rixbiodiesel.co.uk/northwest.htm

These seem to be distributors but where do they distribute to?

I remember reading an article a couple of years back by Frank elson saying that he bought this type of fuel from a BP garage in Bacup.

Damian.
    Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Damian
      Well, I put 'bio diesel Lancashire' in Google and this was the first to pop up,

http://www.rixbiodiesel.co.uk/northwest.htm

These seem to be distributors but where do they distribute to?

I remember reading an article a couple of years back by Frank elson saying that he bought this type of fuel from a BP garage in Bacup.

Damian.
      If you look here you can see where their garages are.

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Thnx guys.

I called one of the dealers and it turns out that BDiesel is the same price as std diesel -no subsidies to promote green fuels!

I was looking for someone who could supply to me from their own processing, like the geezer out in Gloucester selling it at about 60ppl after paying 26p VAT.

The search continues.....might even make my own!
        Udhi

Comment

loads in whitby thats up near where im going for the week. nice one
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Whitby is exactly on the opposite side of the coast that I am on mate, so shucks to that. I cant believe that there isnt a single WVO/Biodiesel place near me.

Looks like somebody will be paying a midnight visit to the local macDonalds with a hosepipe and a 25litre can tonite

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
              Whitby is exactly on the opposite side of the coast that I am on mate, so shucks to that. I cant believe that there isnt a single WVO/Biodiesel place near me.

Looks like somebody will be paying a midnight visit to the local macDonalds with a hosepipe and a 25litre can tonite
              Have you emptied the local chippies already ?

I think what I am going to do is lob 6 litres of veg oil in every tankful once it down to 1/2 tank

Trev
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I *think* there are issues with using chippy oil - something to do with their using a different kinda oil or fat or whatever (animal fats/tallow - gels at too high a temp to render it useable at outside temps without pre heating?) - I would do some background research on it before trying.

Just out of interest, am I right in assuming that used oil (WVO) must not only be FILTERED but also sent through this Methoxy trans esterification process before its used??!

Any budding chemists/Physiscists care to explain why we should do this when it seems fine to just add new Veg oil (VO) straight to 25% diesel and drive straight off??

Am I also correct in thinking that using NEW VO attracts a higher duty than WVO (Waste VO)?

Thnx
                Udhi

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
                  I *think* there are issues with using chippy oil - something to do with their using a different kinda oil or fat or whatever (animal fats/tallow - gels at too high a temp to render it useable at outside temps without pre heating?) - I would do some background research on it before trying.

Just out of interest, am I right in assuming that used oil (WVO) must not only be FILTERED but also sent through this Methoxy trans esterification process before its used??!

Any budding chemists/Physiscists care to explain why we should do this when it seems fine to just add new Veg oil (VO) straight to 25% diesel and drive straight off??

Am I also correct in thinking that using NEW VO attracts a higher duty than WVO (Waste VO)?

Thnx
                  Udhi
                  Many chippies use palm oil which is solid at room temp, it will burn just fine in a diesel but must of course be heated first. Using this would require a heated tank, lines and filter. You would also have to start and run on diesel undel the oil reaches temp, and shutdown on diesel (for about 5 mins) to flush all the palm oil from the pump, injectors etc.

The transesterification process can be used on new or old oil to produce biodiesel which can then be used in most diesel engines without modification.

There is nothing to stop you using WVO mixed with diesel (no transesterification required), however it must be thoroughly filtered and de-watered first. Many use a dual tank setup which starts and stops on diesel, using straight WVO for running (similar to using palm above, altough heating the tank is not usually necessary), no problem.

WVO as a result of the repeated heating it has already recieved it will contain mainly hydrogenated oil, which is thicker than normal oil, this means that you must use it at lower veg/diesel ratios than new oil. It will also gel at higher temps than new oil.

Many choose to make biodiesel from the WVO as it removes the need to have a dual tank setup, it also removes the need for such fine filtering as the contaminents will drop out of the biodiesel during the transesterification process. (de-watering first is still advised as any H2O will destroy the process)

AFAIK the duty on new and old oils in the UK is identical, as it that on biodiesel
                  Maurice
                  Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
                  X