Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiya fellow Surf owners!

Hi!

Just bought myself a 1989 (manual) Surf. I have no idea about them at all apart from what I have been reading from various places which admittedly is about enough to fill a post-it note right now!

There are a few 4x4 in our family, mainly a V8 Disco which is a bit of a toy (regrettably not mine) TD5 Defender and a Navara which I mess about with when the weather is grim. I've done a bit of green lane stuff in the Disco and an off road course and some pay and plays but the Surf seems very different to drive than the Disco.

Anyway shoot me for saying it, but I bought a Surf initially as it seemed like a cheap 4x4 and a bit of fun but the more I look at it and the more I read the more attached I'm getting to it!

It's in fairly good nick, just needing to track down a new rear chrome bumper and both the 1/4 side bits and the clutch slips a tiny bit but I haven't really looked into this much yet. Other than that its a sound wagon but I must admit the more I read the more worried I become about the head.

The previous owner had it for a fair bit so bit of history here and there. Just got a years MOT on it no problems at all which is good. The only downside is its kinda looking like its had every bit of tat Halfrauds sell stuck to it including some dam awful blue front lights on the bunny catcher so I plan on using this week to remove various bits and then figure out what's working and what isn't. Then I'm going to head on out to a friends field and have a play with the gears and 4x4 make sure thats all sound.

In the future I would like to find some better wheels and tyres and do the brakes and lines and basically change all the consumables like air filter oil filter etc. Hopefully then I can look at improving some of the other bits and bobs on it ending up with a solid wagon.

I haven't done anything like this on a big car before. I own two MINI Cooper S JCW's a 55 plate and also the Newer turbo one which have been extensively modified and fancied something different that wasn't a Landy (mainly because those "one life live it" stickers make me cringe heehee).

So thats me! Glad to have found a new forum to reside on for the time being and any wise words for a noob please feel free!!

hello yardstick welcome to this wonderfull place where abouts r u on the south coast ??

Comment

Hello and welcome.
      Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Hello and welcome, good choice of truck.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

hi and welcometheres a couple of us that supply surf spares so just give a shout if i can help
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hello and welcome, I've driven a disco before too in fact I've driven all kinds of vehicals vans trucks two seaters etc, but the SURF I found in November found me comming here every evening really really love it more each time I drive it; not many cars like that on the roads these days I gotta say. I get in turn the key and grin.

Enjoy!

peace
            cal
            Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Greetings from a fellow southcoaster, enjoy the forum
              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Hi mate, welcome to the forum, have a good poke around here there's loads of info to help you get used to the surf.
                Neal

Comment

Hi and welcome, hope you enjoy the forum.
                  www.furryfriendsinneed.com

Comment

Hi yardstick and happy new year. Had my surf 6 months after having had 2 hilux pickups previously. slightly different beast but still solid toyota.
                    Get in, turn key, go. Had a few cooling and heater issues with mine (soon to be fixed with replacement heater matrix from Stormeforce) and at one point started to worry about the head as yes, i believe they can be prone to problems.
                    Best advise, if you aren't having any problems with it then forget it. These are reliable buses, completely stopped thinking about mine all together, I just Get In, Turn Key and Go.

So happy motoring-laning-off roading to you.
                    In space no one can hear you scream

Comment

Hiya people! Thanks for all the welcomes.

Comment

Working...
                      X