How many gears??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many gears??????

I have a 1990 2.4td. i was led to believe that the gearbox is 3 speed plus overdrive.
    For some reason today i counted the gearchanges when pulling away from standstill and it definitely changed or at least dropped revs 4 times making five gears!!!!!! Does the surf have a lockup converter which drops the revs when you reach cruising speed???

how many of you are about to run outside and drive up the road to see if you have a mystery fifth gear????????????
    If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
    I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Definatly 4 speed for the 2nd gen autos, L, 2, D, and O/D.

Dunno if the Torque Converter is a lock up type or not.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Smurf
      I have a 1990 2.4td. i was led to believe that the gearbox is 3 speed plus overdrive.
      For some reason today i counted the gearchanges when pulling away from standstill and it definitely changed or at least dropped revs 4 times making five gears!!!!!! Does the surf have a lockup converter which drops the revs when you reach cruising speed???

how many of you are about to run outside and drive up the road to see if you have a mystery fifth gear????????????
      99% sure auto box has a lock up torque converter, my 94/m reg certainly has!
      Most Toyota auto's from late 80's on (In my experience) had lock up torque converters(unless it was a 1300 corolla auto!!!)
      www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

mine seems to do it too it gets to about 3250 and just after changing to 4th and then there is a bit more of a change but not a full change so i reckon it is a lock up torke converter
        so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

Originally posted by surffreak
          mine seems to do it too it gets to about 3250 and just after changing to 4th and then there is a bit more of a change but not a full change so i reckon it is a lock up torke converter
          Mine locks up at 55mph(2000rpm) with the overdrive on in ect normal and higher in ect power mode!
          www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Yep. I noticed mine doing a fifth something-or-other while towing the caravan back from Somerset. It's amazing how boring towing gets after the first fifty or so miles.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Cheers guys, must be a lockup converter then!!
              Was just thinking, the guys who do 3500rpm @70mph, do they have faulty torque converters that dont lock up??????????
              Just a thought.

Comment

Call me thick (most others have all ready) but can you please explain what is a lockup converter. This is my first auto and I just put my foot down and watch the fuel gauge drop, is there more to it?
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
                  Call me thick (most others have all ready) but can you please explain what is a lockup converter. This is my first auto and I just put my foot down and watch the fuel gauge drop, is there more to it?
                  A torque converter transfers power from engine to gear box, normally this allows some 'slip' between them, ie engine flywheel turning faster than gearbox input. This is why you can often see the revs increase without an immediate increase in speed, unlike in a manual car where the spped would increase also (unless of course the clutch is slipping).
                  A lock up torque converter ceases to allow this slip at a certain point. Usually when a certain rpm is reached it ceases to allow slip, thus driving the gearbox input constantly at the same rpm as the engine.
                  Maurice
                  Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

how a torque converter works

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm
                    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Now it all makes sense, basicly it's an automatic clutch, with the lockup thingy coming into play when engine speed and transmisson speed match so as to try and save some fuel.

Thanks for your help. Although I'm sure this won't be the last time I have to ask what?
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

so when does the flux capacitor come in?
                        BIG D
                        ITS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE,

Comment

Havent you seen the film??????
                          86mph i believe is correct but no-one has tried it as we are all too scared of what will happen to our beloved surfs when we pass through the time warp, what if it turned into a model T????????? No thank you, i'll keep it just the way it is!!!!!

Comment

So what sort of rpm are you looking at for 70mph on a motorway, Just wondering incase i have a faulty one.......

Comment

RPM @ 70 does seem to vary across the board a bit but if your axle code is G145 or G245 it would sem that 3000RPM is the norm or close to it as this may vary with wear and tear and fluid temperature/viscosity.
                              Can anyone tell me what the difference is between G145 & G245, i think the ratio is the same but do they have a different no. of pinions or is one a LSD???

Comment

Working...
                              X