4wd and the snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd and the snow

when i bought my surf in january i tried out the 4wd offroad where i take the dog but it never worked. i would hear a click of the relay bit the light on the dash would never come on so i assumed it wasnt working and forgot all about it as ive only been offroad once since and didnt need it.

now that the snows here i decided to try it tonight coming out of work. i sat in P and pressed the button and heard the click so i shifted to D and headed off and the light came on the missus was with me though and she doesnt like when i throw it around so i didnt notice any difference as it was only about 10mph in a straight line then round and bend.

could it have been working when i bought it and just the light didnt work?
    could it not be working now and the light started working?

i only ask since ive just replaced the head and wondered if i had moved or replaced something that affects the 4wd system.

i also wonder, still being new to 4x4s, the difference between 4x4 modes and wonder if someone could gimme some pointers on when to have the lever in either positions on my 2nd gen auto 2.4?

and to finish i understand the cause and effect of using 4wd on solid surfaces but wondered if the same effect can occur when 'rock crawlin' if ive got my terrains right

In H the 4WD is a switchable option, and you should be able to switch between them while driving (I can't remember what the fastest speed is tough that this can be done at).

The vehicle should be in N when switching between H/L ratios

When you move into L the 4WD automatically engages without the option to use 2WD in low unless you mod the system (I have, so now have 2WD in L option)

As for rock crawling - when in off road I tend to start in 2WD as see what happens, then select 4WD if required and deselect when no longer required. You'll soon get used to where you need 4WD. A lot will depend on what tyres you're using.
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
      In H the 4WD is a switchable option, and you should be able to switch between them while driving (I can't remember what the fastest speed is tough that this can be done at).
      62mph (but I wouldn't recommend it!)
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Dont think because you have 4WD your Invincible like a FRONTERA Driver ive just seen speeding past then losing it when braking.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

thanks guys.
          what about these lock things on my front hubs?
          they look pretty rusty to me and wouldnt turn by hand when i tried them.

what are they for and how can i tell what position im locked in?

Comment

Originally posted by T1z3R View Post
            thanks guys.

I'd say they are manual locking hubs. When in the unlocked position they disconect the hubs from the axle (4x4 will not enguage this way as it will turn the axle which WILL NOT turn the wheel).
            In the locked position the hubs and axle are connected.

If you press the 4x4 button in the cab with them unlocked the transmission would turn the axle but the axle will not turn the wheels leaving you with only 2wd (they save wear on your cv joints and can help fuel economey).
            If you press the 4x4 button in the cab with them in the locked position the transmission would turn the axle which will turn the wheel, giving you 4wd.

To see what position they are in jack the wheel up and turn it, if the axle turns then they are locked, if it doesn't then they are unlocked.
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60178
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by T1z3R View Post
                thanks guys.

Squirrel? IOTW? or letting him off for not knowing nowt?
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                X