Question for photography buffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for photography buffs

I am aware that there are a few keen amateur photographers on here, so I thought I'd enlist your help in sourcing a camera.

My son, who is 14 is after an DSLR camera for Christmas.
    He's never done any photography apart from on his phone, my cheap digital, etc.
    As he seems quite keen on taking it up, I'm happy to support his new interest and see if he sticks with it.

The camera he's asked for is a bit pricey, (about £450) and I explained that it was a bit much to spend on a camera if he's only going to use it a few times and perhaps not pursue his new-found hobby.

So, under much protest, I said I would help find an entry level DSLR for him, for Christmas.

What I've come up with is a CANON EOS REBEL XS EOS 1000D, which is not by any means cheap, but cheaper none the less.
    It would appear that this is pretty much an entry level camera.

My questions are these:
    Is this a good spec'ed camera?
    Are there others that I've not found that are better
    and
    is this false economy and should I be buying a better camera to start off with?

Thanks for your replies.
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Tell him theres loads of womens pictures online if he knows where to look.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
      Tell him theres loads of womens pictures online if he knows where to look.
      yea, Connor has already shown him where they are
      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
        I am aware that there are a few keen amateur photographers on here, so I thought I'd enlist your help in sourcing a camera.

My son, who is 14 is after an DSLR camera for Christmas.
        He's never done any photography apart from on his phone, my cheap digital, etc.
        As he seems quite keen on taking it up, I'm happy to support his new interest and see if he sticks with it.

The camera he's asked for is a bit pricey, (about £450) and I explained that it was a bit much to spend on a camera if he's only going to use it a few times and perhaps not pursue his new-found hobby.

So, under much protest, I said I would help find an entry level DSLR for him, for Christmas.

What I've come up with is a CANON EOS REBEL XS EOS 1000D, which is not by any means cheap, but cheaper none the less.
        It would appear that this is pretty much an entry level camera.

My questions are these:
        Is this a good spec'ed camera?
        Are there others that I've not found that are better
        and
        is this false economy and should I be buying a better camera to start off with?

Thanks for your replies.
        I've just had a similar discussion with a guy from work - wanting to upgrade from his all singing all dancing compact camera.

My advice to him was this
        Nikon and Canon seem to be the market leaders in main steam consumer and pro photography gear and as such their equipment is normally pretty good and well spec'd. their is a world full of after market compatible equipment from lens', flashgun, software and other gadgets.
        The only thing to consider when buying into Nikon or Canon - is that normally you'll have to stay with this manufacturer when buying future equipment - as all their gear - flashguns - lenses etc are interchangeable. So in the future if your son does enjoy photography and wants to upgrade his camera - he can buy a new body from same manufacturer and still use his old lenses.

Each manufacturer is constantly trying to out do each other with each new model launched - trying to persuade ardent canon lovers to swap to nikon and vice versa - and as such neither has made a duff camera over the years.

I myself am a canon man - purley because my first camera was given to me and was a canon - so since then through years of upgrading / swapping - I'm still a canon man - and still have my first 50mm lens - which still fits my 40d body.

Another little hint if buying new gear in the form of a kit - ie body and zoom lens - these kit lenses have been known to be a bit of a let down with sharpness etc - so I'd buy a body and chose a lens your self that has been given a good review - Sigma make some cracking aftermarket lenses for both nikon and canon

The 1000d is the latest in a long line of award winning consumer cameras - following on from the 450d...400d....350d.... etc and is a very capable camera.
        Some photographers will say that the body is purely a means of holding the film and that the lens is what makes the picture - to my mind the body / lens is no good without a good eye in the first place.
        You may want to consider buying 2nd hand equipment - getting more bang for your buck - and 2nd hand 350d or 400d with a few lenses - probs cheaper than new 1000d. If your son finds he doesn't like photography - then sell this gear on for what you paid for it. - just a thought.

If you are buying 2nd hand - the majority of camera shutters (only moving bit) have a life of around 100,000 operations - so you may want to check how many operations it has executed. this can normally be done by taking a image and checking its "properties" or "exif" data - this will give an image or file number - which usually is the shutter operation number - if that makes sense>
        Last edited by jaky cakes; 6 December 2009, 17:19.
        Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply Alastair.

I did originally consider buying second hand, and I'll speak to my son about it now. Thanks for the tip regarding the life expectancy of the lens, I didnt know that.
          Your comment regarding Cannon's reputation in this marketplace is the precise reason I chose this camera.
          Thanks again.

Gordon
          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
            Thank you very much for your reply Alastair.

Thanks for the tip regarding the life expectancy of the lens, I didnt know that.

Gordon
            the lens is not the concern - good for a lifetime - it's the camera body (shutter) that has a certain life span - although these can be replaced at a cost!
            Last edited by jaky cakes; 6 December 2009, 17:18.

Comment

I've used Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras and Canon, Nikon and Hassleblad Film cameras.

The best, by a country mile, in my opinion, were my Canons. I've had about 9 Canons, only recently sold my old Manual SLRs (which I've regretted). I now have an EOS 500D, it's not as good, features or handling wise, as my old T90s, but it is a very good camera.

My advice would be to set a budget and buy a Canon DSLR as close to that figure as you can get.

The bundled lenses are fine.

The 100,000 shutter operation life expectancy is a new one on me, I'd like to see that documented somewhere. I reckon I'll have taken (not kept) over 200,000 images since May and don't relish the thought of my camera failing imminently! My old F-1n was 20 odd years old, it must have fired well over a million times and was still whisper quiet.

EDIT: Hmmm, I stand corrected! As low as 50,000? I can take 1,000 images a day, easily!
              Last edited by Albannach; 6 December 2009, 17:35.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

JAky what do you recon to one of these... http://www.dpreview.com/news/0911/09111801casioexg1.asp ?

Not as a SLR but as an robust camera

Cheers
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  I've used Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras and Canon, Nikon and Hassleblad Film cameras.

The best, by a country mile, in my opinion, were my Canons. I've had about 9 Canons, only recently sold my old Manual SLRs (which I've regretted). I now have an EOS 500D, it's not as good, features or handling wise, as my old T90s, but it is a very good camera.

My advice would be to set a budget and buy a Canon DSLR as close to that figure as you can get.

The bundled lenses are fine.

The 100,000 shutter operation life expectancy is a new one on me, I'd like to see that documented somewhere. I reckon I'll have taken (not kept) over 200,000 images since May and don't relish the thought of my camera failing imminently! My old F-1n was 20 odd years old, it must have fired well over a million times and was still whisper quiet.
                  That's a average of over 1000 a day mate, how many women do you know?
                  Brian

Comment

Shirley took over 3,000 the Skye weekend. I took about the same at Leuchars in one day. It's not difficult to do with a Digital camera.
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

My lastest camera does 40 8meg a second so if the memory card could take it 60 seconds would be 2,400 pics.....

Comment

Again,
                        Thanks for all your replies

I will take your advice Andy, and others, and purchase a Cannon.
                        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

[QUOTE=Albannach;604016]

The 100,000 shutter operation life expectancy is a new one on me, I'd like to see that documented somewhere.

EDIT: QUOTE]

http://photocamel.com/forum/canon-fo...xpectancy.html

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
                            JAky what do you recon to one of these... http://www.dpreview.com/news/0911/09111801casioexg1.asp ?

Not as a SLR but as an robust camera

Cheers
                            Mark
                            I'm not the most clued up on compacts they are quite a different beast to dslrs. They have different style (smaller) sensors and tiny wee bits of glass as lenses. small sensor looking through a small lens will probably never achieve the same quality as full frame sensor and good quality prime lens. but this is only really noticeable if you print your images above say 10x8 or if you do a lot of cropping.

BTW don't get caught in the mega pixel trap - high mega pixel = high image files not high quality - again - lens and sensor make the quality.

I also own a canon G9 compact - (for out and about without lugging my expensive gear about) virtually a compact DSLR - very good compact - but expensive - now superseded by the G10.

It all boils down to what you intend to use the camera for...
                            something small to slip in your pocket for walks out with dog/summer holiday photos and snap shots - most compacts will suffice.
                            If you are wanting to take still life/night time/ fast sports action etc etc and possibly blow the images up to hang on wall then a Dslr is the way to go.
                            Last edited by jaky cakes; 6 December 2009, 19:43.

Comment

get a fair priced body and good lens, its all about the lens

good quality lens will hold there price so if this hobby takes off thats good if not you will not lose that much when selling it on.
                              Show me where the trench is at or can i make one!

Comment

Working...
                              X