X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying as advertised?

Hi All,

Scenario:-

I've spotted an item on the internet from PC World that I decided to buy for my daughter's Christmas pressie so I reserve it online.

I bowl up to the local PC World only to find that the item is not as advertised on the website.

In fact, it is not as good as they described.

Where does the law stand on this?

If I reserve an item and find out when I go to pay and collect that it is not as good and much worse than advertised what can I do?

If anything!

I think I read somewhere that they have to honour the advert and price, is this so?

Cheers!

G

Have you got proof of the one you reserved compared to the one at the store?
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Re

Yup, I took a 2 screenshots of the web page when I ordered it.

A habit that has served me well in the past!

Basically it was advertised as having an all singing all dancing ATI graphics card, when I went to set it up it only had shitty NVidia onboard shared graphics.

Gary
      Last edited by hellmett; 30 November 2009, 01:00.

Comment

if you've only reserved it, then you just walk away and say no thanks.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

as da SLUG man says - walk away or give them the option to upgrade to advertised spec, with maybe a freebie or two thrown in
          My other cars a QUAD
          (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
          http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett View Post
            Hi All,

Scenario:-

I've spotted an item on the internet from PC World that I decided to buy for my daughter's Christmas pressie so I reserve it online.

I bowl up to the local PC World only to find that the item is not as advertised on the website.

In fact, it is not as good as they described.

Where does the law stand on this?

If I reserve an item and find out when I go to pay and collect that it is not as good and much worse than advertised what can I do?

If anything!

I think I read somewhere that they have to honour the advert and price, is this so?

Cheers!

G
            They don't have to honour an advertised price, a price ticket/advert is an invitation to buy; not a contract of sale in England and Wales.

That said it is "bad business" so most companies, and store managers for that matter will usually try to either negociate "meet you half way" or in the interests of customer service honour the add, but not because they are legally obliged too.

I haven't see the add, so I'm not sure what it said/implied precisely. Or if it is still live.

As for the law, take for example the old tale of one of the numbers dropping off a car windscreen while on a sales forecourt, you know your not ever going to get the car at that price.

I'd try asking for the branch manager, but it depends on their disgression.

I have heard of errors on DSG's ( that's currys pc world dixons group) system where items are hugely underpriced, some websites publise these errors this might be one of those errors that has just been caught but not fixed properly yet.

EDIT just read your second post

As you have already bought the goods. And they are not as discribed.
            I'd take them back for a refund imeadiatley. Take the evidence you have for the advertised specification and negociate from there; you are entitled to a full refund or goods as specified.
            A reservation would not have entitled you to that.

It may be as simple as someone in the warehouse has brought out the wrong boxed item; was the item scanned at the till or did you pay and wait for the goods?

peace
            cal
            Last edited by Calos; 30 November 2009, 08:14.
            Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

If the price aint right on the website then it aint right, if they are advertising a certain thing at a certain price then thats not allowed. imagne u bought it online, same thing applies, hence the reason places can do online price matches when u go instore. My sis recently booked a hotel for 2 nights, the offer was on screen at buy 1 night get the second for 0.00, she booked, phoned to confirm price and net price was wrong but the still had to honor the price she took, as soon as me sis came off the pone the online orders had changed already, lucky she booked while it was on screen. Go back to them with a printout o your screen shot and kick up a fuss

Comment

Re

Thanks fellas!

I will go in and ask to see the manager and try and negotiate!

Gary

Comment

Surely reserving an item online gives you the same statutuary right as mail order. With mail order, which buying online comes under the same catagory, you get a cooling off period. Providing you have all the packaging, instructions etc, and the item is still in pristine, unused condition, you can return it and get your money back. They might want to charge an admin fee and return postage though.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett View Post
                    Thanks fellas!

I will go in and ask to see the manager and try and negotiate!

Gary
                    Try this http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...wed_Episode_6/

Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X