Springs rubbing on shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs rubbing on shocks

Fitted the spring tops to my LC springs today hoping that they'd pull the springs away from the shocks a bit more. But they didn't. One side has a gap of around 10mm between shock and spring, and on other side there's a gap of about a milimeter and the spring rubs on the shock when contracted. The shocks are procomp ES9000's. Has no one else had this problem? Any ideas why this is happening? What sort of gap do others that have fitted this lift have?

Has the panhard rod pulled the axle out of alignment to much due to lift? compare how much each rear tyre sticks out from wheel arch, looking in mirrors is good for this.

You may have cut and sleeve the panhard rod to get the axle centered, or let the springs settle for a couple of weeks and have another look
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I've got an adjustable panhard rod that seems to have everything in alignment apart from the RHS shock and spring. The springs were fitted a while ago and i still had this problem but thought the spring tops might sort it.

Comment

ok, cool.

Sorry, assuming you don't have hidden chassis damage, and its put together properly, i'm out of suggestions without looking at it.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Don I would say they are not fitted properly mate.
          I have fitted a few LC springs to surfs and as long as the spring end is rotated towards the front of the truck, it hooks on the spring seat and keeps it clear of the shocks. I would recommend you get someone local who has fitted these before to have a look for you.
          Brian

Comment

On my truck they are pretty close but don't rub, I don't have adjustable panhard rod and axle is out a wee bit but still no problems with springs. I'd do as yoshie suggests and check the spring is located properly.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

The best thing you could do is take some pics, some close up and others at a distance so the guys here can have a look for you.

Comment

Yeah will do. The springs are located correctly in the spring seat (so that the end of the spring sits against the notch in the seat so it can't turn anymore clockwise).
                I can't really see how this can be fixed apart from getting new springs and/or shocks. Any idea if +2" springs will be ok with the +4" shocks or are they likely to bottom out when off roading?

Comment

And what would happen if the spring rubbed on the shock to the extent that it wore a hole in the shock one day whilst driving? Is it dangerous?

Comment

It would be a waste of a good shock ? Any photos of the set up yet?

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                    X