How does no claims bonus work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does no claims bonus work?

I have been trying to reinsure my Surf but am having problems and something one of the insurers said made me think.

How does the no claims bonus work?

The way she was telling it, so long as the claim I made wasn't my fault, then I retain my no claims bonus. Is this true? She also told me that she usually delt with home contents insurance.

Could you let me know.

Last year when I bought my surf I had 1 years no claims bonus. Almost immediately after buying it, some chav broke in and tried stealing the radio.

Total damage was £1000.00 or so. The insurance company paid out and I paid the £300 excess aswell.

Would this affect my no claims bonus?

Any help or ideas would be great guys.

Thanks

insurance

Hi Russell
    As far as i know if your car was broke into you will loose your no clames cover or part there of.
    I think she was presuming the there was another car involed and not some little scroat.
    I would check your policy , if theres a getout clause it will be in the small print.
    Good Hunting

Comment

Ncb

CelticWolf is right.

You effectively had an 'at fault' claim. I think under normal cirumstances you would lose 2 years NCB for such a claim.
      Even if your NCB was protected your premium would still have gone up. Your NCB % would have stayed the same but the overall premium would have risen as you had a claim within the past 3 / 5 years.

Rob.

Comment

No Claim Bonus

Easiest way to think about it is it's a No Claim Bonus not a No Blame Bonus

If the insurance company cant get back the moeny they paid out from someone that hit you then you loose part (or all) of your NCB unless it's protected.

If it's protected, then the amount of NCB you have stays the same, BUT they may "load" the premium instead (but they dont tell you that )

So...if you get hit by someone that doesn't stop or isnt insured or if someone breaks into your car, even though it's not your fault your NCB is affected

Hope that helps

Comment

Working...
        X