Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed M.O.T. on 1 Part !!!!

Hi,
    Failed M.O.T. on 1 Part the STEERING IDLER ARM due to excessive play. Replaced with a New unit that is a direct replacement (COPY) PART and not an original from Milliners at Matlock total cost approx £65.00 inc as opposed to approx £100.00 for an original unit. Copy part appears to be of very good quality. Noticed that the Copy Idler arm that I purchased has a Grease Nipple fitted to allow re Greasing and the original faulty unit that I removed didn't !! not sure if Original replacement units now come with a Grease point fitted.
    When replacing these units that are fitted to the Near side front and secured with 3 large bolt's and a ball joint fitting to the Steering. Separate the Ball Joint first before loosening the 3 bolt's and you will almost definitely need a Ball joint separator (very tight fitting) Also you will need a Spanner to get to the Nut's on the 3 Bolt's very difficult to get at !!
    Attached Files
    I'd Rather Have A 4" Lift Than A 4" Extension !!!

ANDY mine failed on the idler balljoint. i got mine from milners for around £65 also complete with grease nipple
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Hi Marky,
      Hows things ? Yes apparently Steering Idler Arms are a regular M.O.T. fail.

Comment

as long as the balljoint is ok you can change the bushes
        Attached Files
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          as long as the balljoint is ok you can change the bushes
          can you tell when this unit as failed or is it somet that is only picked up by inspection.......
          CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

I couldn't tell by any Free-play in the steering either stationary or when moving but when it is Jacked up and the front wheel is moved as when checking the wheel bearings or turning the steering quickly just a little left and right it becomes very obvious but only when jacked up.
            Attached Files

Comment

I need to order the idler arm.

Thought I would price it at local Toyo dealer....
              £144 +vat "would you like to order?" er, no thanks!

Does it come from Milners as a complete unit as per this picture?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by icsys; 13 July 2004, 21:15.
              Ian
              One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Working...
              X