buying 2.4td surf 91 plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying 2.4td surf 91 plate

Hi going to look at 91 surf 87000 mls on the clock .its an auto seller says head was done 5000 miles ago recipts for same, just wondering would head give trouble having gone before, costly job to replace to. ive read posts re this appears common fault with 2.4 . I have owned 4x4 s had fourtrak 180000 miles no head problems and a good jeep. Always liked the surf and know the rest of the bits are sound. any thing i need to know about the auto box

Check that a good quality replacement head was used, and not some cheap import, Ebay unit or repaired head. With regards to other points to check:

http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/hiluxsurf/info/faq.htm

Comment

The seller has recipts £1200 spend on new head + garage that fixed it tel number , last owner was a lorry driver and a mechanic so hopefully she was well looked after, not sure new head was a modified one , what about the auto box do i need to check out. ps thanks for your reply.

Comment

So long as the gears change smoothly and locks into overdrive at about 50mph you should have nothing to worry about.
        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

2nd post down has a link... Some good info there matey.
          Auto box, usual really. Check the fluid is not burnt, is up to the correct level . You need to do this with the engine running( which after you have started from cold,should show if any head problems exist)
          on the test drive, it should change smoothly and be in the correct gear for the speed etc. With regards to speed, the 2.4.. It ain't quick !!... But it's perfectly adequate. Good luck with it.
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by lmbo2 View Post
            The seller has recipts £1200 spend on new head + garage that fixed it tel number , last owner was a lorry driver and a mechanic so hopefully she was well looked after, not sure new head was a modified one , what about the auto box do i need to check out. ps thanks for your reply.
            even so he may have bought a cheap head,see where he bought it from,if from ebay or china,walk away,if head is from toyota,roughtrax,or from amc your onto a winner

Comment

cheers lads will check all those bits , the seller is looking £1500 for the surf, was to view it today , but will not get down there till weekend , check out her on gumtree belfast , still a bit worried about the head issue what u think about the price should i haggle down the price , is the 2.4 a good buy or should i go for 3.0 surf .the seller appears guinine.

Comment

Forgot to mention that head replacement was doe 5000 miles ago , can the auto box be shifted while driving , never drove automatic before, what happens if the car gets flat battery or stops can it be moved .or towed.

Comment

cheers lads will check all those bits , the seller is looking £1500 for the surf, was to view it today , but will not get down there till weekend , check out her on gumtree belfast , still a bit worried about the head issue what u think about the price should i haggle down the price , is the 2.4 a good buy or should i go for 3.0 surf .the seller appears guinine.
                  £1500 is a bit steep, I would try to Haggle, Sold the missus 2.4 (lifted and bull bars) for £1000 just over a year ago, that said one is up for sale just on the road from me at £1995. I've had a 2.4, they are OK but wont break any land speed records, I have a 3.0ltr, they are a bit faster but remember you have 2 tonnes to lug around

Forgot to mention that head replacement was doe 5000 miles ago , can the auto box be shifted while driving , never drove automatic before, what happens if the car gets flat battery or stops can it be moved .or towed.
                  Do you mean manually shifted? Yes you can disengage the overdrive and also shift up and down the gears manually. If you get a flat battery it's "electric reins" jump leads only.

if it needs towed at any time it can be done by ensuring both the transfer box and gearbox are in neutral.
                  Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

thanks for that information ,i really torn between buying the surf or a four trak , i know the fourtrak is indestructable but the rusty bits are a real problem more so on later wide body models

Comment

Working...
                    X