Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Query from Newbie

Hi All,

What exactly are torsion bars? And how do they work? I know what coil springs and leaf springs are, and how they work respectively, but researching Surfs for my pending purchase, this is the first time I've come accross the term torsion bar. How effective are they at suspending the front on and off road? If they're crap at either, can they be replaced with coils? Do torsion bars use the same type of dampers as with coils & leafs (leaves??)? Do the Surf torsion bars give any trouble?

Any replies apreciated...

Mark
    :

Originally posted by silvtr1000
    Hi All,

What exactly are torsion bars? And how do they work? I know what coil springs and leaf springs are, and how they work respectively, but researching Surfs for my pending purchase, this is the first time I've come accross the term torsion bar. How effective are they at suspending the front on and off road? If they're crap at either, can they be replaced with coils? Do torsion bars use the same type of dampers as with coils & leafs (leaves??)? Do the Surf torsion bars give any trouble?

Any replies apreciated...

Mark
    Torsion bars are more common than you may think, Beetle (original proper ones), Porsche 911 & Renault 5 all spring to mind as having torsion bars on at least one end for suspension, (think they're also on the front of pajaro's, rear of saxo's and some pugs, but not positive).
    Rather than using a coil spring which compresses a torsion bar relys on twisting forces. One end of the bar is anchored to the chassis whilst the other carrys an arm or lever to which the wheel is attached. Movement of the wheel moves the arm or lever which is fixed to the torsion bar and in doing so causes the bar to twist, the bar will resist this twisting motion and attempt to revert to its previous state, thus providing the spring action.

They cannot simply be replaced with coils, this would require much engineering as torsion bar suspension setup is not otherwise identical to a coil system.

Not know for causing any trouble on the Surfs so don't be concerned about them

Basic damper construction is the same for coil, torsion or leaf sprung systems
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
      Torsion bars are more common than you may think, Beetle (original proper ones), Porsche 911 & Renault 5 all spring to mind as having torsion bars on at least one end for suspension, (think they're also on the front of pajaro's, rear of saxo's and some pugs, but not positive).
      Rather than using a coil spring which compresses a torsion bar relys on twisting forces. One end of the bar is anchored to the chassis whilst the other carrys an arm or lever to which the wheel is attached. Movement of the wheel moves the arm or lever which is fixed to the torsion bar and in doing so causes the bar to twist, the bar will resist this twisting motion and attempt to revert to its previous state, thus providing the spring action.

They cannot simply be replaced with coils, this would require much engineering as torsion bar suspension setup is not otherwise identical to a coil system.

Not know for causing any trouble on the Surfs so don't be concerned about them

Basic damper construction is the same for coil, torsion or leaf sprung systems
      I read the other day that Torsion Bars are often used on off roaders (Even on the New Hyundai Terracan) because weight for weight they are considerably stronger than Coil springs. The downside is that they are a little less civilised on road.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X