Buying Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Advice

Saw a few of these when checking out 4x4's today. Can you pls offer any advice on what spec/year to go for and importantly what to look for mechanically.

Looking to pay 5 to 7k

All hints will be appreciated

Another Rob!

Looks like you can afford a 3 litre anyway. Theres two engine sizes 2.4 and 3.0 (or is it 2.8 actually??) both turbo'd.
    3 litres are only around since '93 and some 2.4's have a had head trouble (not the end of the world) so make your own mind up.
    Mechanically theres nothing special to watch for that you wouldnt check on any motor, test drive tells a lot...

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
      Theres two engine sizes 2.4 and 3.0 (or is it 2.8 actually??) both turbo'd....
      Current advice is to get a 3.0L (2982cc) if possible. More power, similar mpg to the 2.4L and less REPORTED problems compared to the 24.L

However there might be a number of reasons for this. There are probably less 3.0L than 2.4L in the UK at the moment. All 2.4L Surfs are several years older and therefore likley to have more problems than a newer model. The 3.0L was introduced in 1993- who knows what future problems lie in store as these cars hit 12-15 years of age? I've got a 1993 3.0L so I'll be one of the first to find out....

Still don't let me put you off. Buy a car that looks well maintained and you're halfway there. Check the cooling system very carefully as this seems to be where any trouble starts.

Moderators- can we cobble together an "Online Buyers Guide to Surfing"? I thought I saw the beginings of a checlkist on the old forum?
      Last edited by laser_jock99; 25 September 2003, 23:07.

Comment

Originally posted by RobF
        Saw a few of these when checking out 4x4's today. Can you pls offer any advice on what spec/year to go for and importantly what to look for mechanically.

Looking to pay 5 to 7k

All hints will be appreciated
        Rob - You'll never regret buying a Surf - I've had a few different 4x4's before my surf and it's by far the best - it's a really tough work horse, and a fun, comfortable car with all the gadgets and luxury items too.

Good luck and let us know what you get in the end...
        Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Thank,

Do they all have the Hard/soft suspension switching and what effect does it have. Also, I would like heated seats. Are these a common option?

Comment

Working...
          X