yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surf prices...how do I find out whats right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf prices...how do I find out whats right?

Newbie here....am trying to find out if there's anywhere that publishes Surf values for particular models/years etc. Like wot Parker's guide does for non import/non commercial cars?
    I see lots of surfs at Bristol Import Centre (any advice on how reputable they are?) and on my travels but never sure if price is right as there are so many factors besides model; year, mileage, extras (bull bars, towbars, wind deflectors, cruise control, wood bits etc). Some places seem to slap a random ticket on the windscreen!

Also, I understand that for insurance it also needs to have a certain type of immobiliser fitted.....is this correct?

Originally posted by Rica
    Newbie here....am trying to find out if there's anywhere that publishes Surf values for particular models/years etc. Like wot Parker's guide does for non import/non commercial cars?
    I see lots of surfs at Bristol Import Centre (any advice on how reputable they are?) and on my travels but never sure if price is right as there are so many factors besides model; year, mileage, extras (bull bars, towbars, wind deflectors, cruise control, wood bits etc). Some places seem to slap a random ticket on the windscreen!

Also, I understand that for insurance it also needs to have a certain type of immobiliser fitted.....is this correct?
    hey rica, welcome aboard the good ship surf.....
    as far as price goes, it really depends on just what you want for yer money. i've recently brought a '95 3.0 man. SSRX with 45,000 miles on the clock and paid 8K for it. i'd been looking for ages for the right one at the right price.... anything priced below 7K just didn't quite do it for me (well worn inside, small chips and bumps on the wheel arches and bumper corners and higher mileage... you get the picture....??) most surfs come with all the bits on anyway so are included in the asking price. i insisted on an good alarm being fitted and the underseal being done.

there's 2 'bristol import' type dealers in bristol and i always get them mixed up, if you're looking at the one on eastville road, then yeah, he's good always helpful and has a good selection on surfs available.

as for your insurance question, everyone i spoke to about the insurance asked for a cat. 2 at least, which is an immobiliser. (mine has a cat 1 toad alarm, yes marky... it warns you when toads are crossing... no more toad squishing for me......heehee). there's a link here somewhere for good insurance co.s i went with footman james..........

see ya'll
    Planty

Comment

See FAQ for insurance stuff, me with Tesco they never asked for any alarm/immobiliser for the Surf but did for my Runner??
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

dealers and insurance

funny old world...i'm insured with tesco and they wont cover theft unless cat or 2 alarm fitted
        i got my surf from john at bristol import centre...no problems so far,touch wood-he was very helpful
        NOGGIN: '96 3.0L TD SSR-G Electric blue...
        'Rum:so much more than a breakfast drink'!

Comment

i've seen cars the same as mine for up to £14,000 which is nice if you're thinking of selling, but i think basically they charge whatever thay can get for them, if thay can afford to have them standing, then the price will be whacked up!

most insurances will insist on at least a Thatcham Cat 2, which is an immobiliser (at least 3 circuit) approved by the motor insurance repair research centre in Thatcham (opposite my work!) that will set you back about £100 for a basic one or you could go for a cat 1 which is an alarm aswell and can pay anything from £200 upwards... but if you go for a good one of these than you can have extra functions such as total closure, proximity scan, microwave, remote starting... pretty much control anything on the car remotely...
          now i've waffled, i can't remember what the question was!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Muchos thanks for all that info....remote controlled car eh?!

I suspected prices were a tad high at bristol import centre, they wont negotiate at all on prices either so clearly are confidant of selling at those prices!

Is there anywhere else near Bristol anyone would recommned? I tried contacting some of the ones from the recommended dealer messages (mostly near London) but no-one had anything in and its a long way to check em out :-(

I really want one NOW and its getting to be a real pain being this 'careful'!

Comment

What's the spec on the Surf that your after.

Comment

i bought mine from quality cars direct in swansea. Not to far from Bristol and as they are a small outfit they are normally willing to meet so that you can view a vehicle. They stock many different models of Jap import and usually have 2 or 3 surfs at any one time. I Paid £4700 for a 1993 2.4 ssrx in Black. 12 months mot and 6 months tax, Cd player. Very clean condition.

have a look at www.qualitycarsdirect-swansea.co.uk

Comment

Brittania Motors on the A48 at Langstone was where I got mine. That's just over the Old Severn bridge. They have quite a large selection and the prices are in line with whats about on the net.

Malcolm
                  Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Cheers for that...had a quickie at the website but had to email him whether 3.0 or 2.4's.

I'm after a 3.0 (man or auto) as the 2.4 i tried was v sluggish (plus the head prblems). Dont really like 'new model' (post 1996) as looks too shiny for me so something pre '96. Does year make alot of difference to price? Only really after basic model but bull bars good, cruise control better (!), sunroof ok but not really fussed. Low mileage and cared for engine etc most important. Dont care about cosmetics tho cos it'll get trashed on streets round here anyways!

All info greatly appreciated (and hoarded) :-)

ps how d'you put those flashy smiley faces in anyway (the ones that keep flashing in the box on the right while I type this)?

Comment

Originally posted by BONA
                      i bought mine from quality cars direct in swansea. Not to far from Bristol and as they are a small outfit they are normally willing to meet so that you can view a vehicle. They stock many different models of Jap import and usually have 2 or 3 surfs at any one time. I Paid £4700 for a 1993 2.4 ssrx in Black. 12 months mot and 6 months tax, Cd player. Very clean condition.

have a look at www.qualitycarsdirect-swansea.co.uk
                      have you had any probs with the head (or did it have a new one?)

Comment

Originally posted by Rica
                        Is there anywhere else near Bristol anyone would recommned? I tried contacting some of the ones from the recommended dealer messages (mostly near London) but no-one had anything in and its a long way to check em out :-(
                        hey rica,

how about http://www.brownstone4x4.com/index.php in on the bath road in willsbridge.... they had some nice ones there when i was looking a while back.

also there's a place on the A38 just north of thornbury (near the garden centre that made the news for killing those robins recently.....) they had some good ones there to.

then there's a place on the winterstoke road in ashton, not too far from the city ground, there's a fella there called inglis during the week, he works at protech in nailsea on weekends and is very helpful. yes i brought mine from him.........

good luck buddy
                        see ya'll
                        Planty

Comment

i tried everywhere for about 4 months
                          ae capel in wales,station garage on the a38 towards gloucester...that place near thornbury,brownstone etc etc
                          i always went back to bristol import centre on fishponds road though
                          yeah prices are toppy but i've had mine for nearly a year now and not a hint of trouble..touchwood
                          as a first timer its v. hard until you gain an instinct for whats right by soaking up all the slaes crap you get bombarded with...if thats not a contradiction..you know what i mean!!
                          NOGGIN: '96 3.0L TD SSR-G Electric blue...
                          'Rum:so much more than a breakfast drink'!

Comment

Working...
                          X