Anyone been to Kerala?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone been to Kerala?

I'm booking 2 weeks to go to Kerala in Southern India in Feb. with my lady. Obviously I'm nerding my way through guide books but just wondered if anyone has been and can recommend any must sees/ must do's/ must avoids etc?

Can't wait. Never been to India and been wanting to for years.

mmmm... curry...

ta

there were a few blokes up here that did india on some old enfield motorbikes, they went from the south somewhere all the way up to about 12000feet into the himalayas. They said it was absolutely awesome and that things were really cheap. Plus the sights are spectacular. I'm so jealous.
    Completely bitten by the off road bug, and what better vehicle to do it in!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooler View Post
      there were a few blokes up here that did india on some old enfield motorbikes, they went from the south somewhere all the way up to about 12000feet into the himalayas. They said it was absolutely awesome and that things were really cheap. Plus the sights are spectacular. I'm so jealous.
      Wow that sounds great! Its a lot cheaper than I thought it might be. About £350-400 for the flights then dirt cheap when you're there.

I'm trying to work out whats best to take for barter and gifts other than Scotch.

Comment

Apparently the safest thing to do Paul, is stay in a best western, eat western food and avoid the locals... Isn't that what your supposed to do?
        As an aside, ne and the family are waiting for a ferry at the best named place I have ever heard... Fishnish
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
          Wow that sounds great! Its a lot cheaper than I thought it might be. About £350-400 for the flights then dirt cheap when you're there.

I'm trying to work out whats best to take for barter and gifts other than Scotch.
          Andrex?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Andrex?
            Absutely... Before you go Paul , listen to the kevin bl00dy Wilson classic

"I'll never shit solid again"
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Andrex?
              Surely Ghandi Wipes would be more fitting?

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                Apparently the safest thing to do Paul, is stay in a best western, eat western food and avoid the locals... Isn't that what your supposed to do?
                As an aside, ne and the family are waiting for a ferry at the best named place I have ever heard... Fishnish

Good advice Gra... if Paul was thinking of staying at home !!!!

There's always a Payback .. Ya don't know where n ya never know when tho !!
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Yeah take plenty of bog roll with you. The dirty B******s over there dont use the stuff just drag their Arse along the grass or use their hand!! I must add its not the hand they eat with!!

Comment

We did Goa about 15 years ago, the food is fab, and curry has never tasted the same since. The local always frendly, but watch out for the spiting aparently the all do it and there is no malace in it, maybe just a dirty habbit. Eating and dinking in the beach shacks is dirt cheap and also entertaining.

I did have a tummy bug when I got back home, but did not put me off, we went back the following Christmas.

If you stay in a 4-5 star hotel you won't have a problem with bog roll !!

Comment

I've been to Mumbai, Goa and Karnataka. Didn't get down as far as Kerala, but i've heard it's all about the backwaters there though. Hampi (Google it- hundreds of temples dotted around huge boulder-strewn landscape) is amazing if you can get there in reasonable time.

If you can ride motorbikes (with the gears all different and on the wrong side to modern ones) then rent an Enfield Bullet and explore.

2 starters/2 curries/2 rice/2 drinks came to less than a quid (for the whole lot). We ate in the same places as the locals all the time and never got ill.

Going with the missus? She got blonde hair? Be prepared my friend....
                      Last edited by Don Logan; 30 October 2009, 19:29.

Comment

Working...
                      X