Jump Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump Starting

As you look at the Surf from the front, when jump starting, which battery would you use to help someone out? Meaning is there a right battery to use, & if you use the wrong one, do you do damage to your own?
    www.grovegarage.co.uk

I don't know if there is a proper answer, but I use which ever battery is closest to theirs.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

experts say that you shouldnt jump start a car from another car. Can damage ECU.
      You should use starter pack.
      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
        experts say that you shouldnt jump start a car from another car. Can damage ECU.
        Really? Would that be the experts from "Starter-Packs-r-us"?

Use whatever battery is most convenient. Positive to positive and negative on the donor car to the engine block (not the battery(although very few people do it this way, it is the correct way)) on your truck.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

its not so much that,its the spike u get from disconnecting and the alternator kickin in on donor car,most newer cars have smart charge alternators,ie u jump start a flat battery,and disconnect the jump pack or leads straight away,and the alternator will bug 16/17v round the system,s if u jump start a newer car,let the donor battery equalise,ie leave leads on for atleast 5 mins

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
            its not so much that,its the spike u get from disconnecting and the alternator kickin in on donor car,most newer cars have smart charge alternators,ie u jump start a flat battery,and disconnect the jump pack or leads straight away,and the alternator will bug 16/17v round the system,s if u jump start a newer car,let the donor battery equalise,ie leave leads on for atleast 5 mins
            yea
            thats what i said
            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              Really? Would that be the experts from "Starter-Packs-r-us"?

Use whatever battery is most convenient. Positive to positive and negative on the donor car to the engine block (not the battery(although very few people do it this way, it is the correct way)) on your truck.
              experts from SMC - your mates
              私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

I only know half a dozen of them. This expert says it's bunkum.

Comment

It's still bunkum unless you're creating a light show with the leads and arcing them.

Comment

I am no expert, but your are correct Sparks.
                    The ecu on the car giving the jump start can be damaged.
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      I only know half a dozen of them. This expert says it's bunkum.
                      Aye the half dozen unlucky ones
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                        Several of you are partly right.

As long as the alternator is working into a load (a battery which isn't f*cked open circuit) you'll be OK. When jump starting, you're running into two batteries so there shouldn't be an issue.

If you somehow disconnect the battery when the alternator is supplying high current into a flat battery, you can get a phenomena called a 'load dump transient' which can be anything up to a few hundred volts for a few milliseconds, which could damage sensitive electronics.

However, the above can be mitigated by leaving the leads connected with both engines running for a few minutes.

I know this because I test it as part of Def-Stan 61-5 Part 6 (automotive power systems) so dont argue!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Roughly; how many cars have you jump started and how many ECUs have you fried? I must have used jump leads thousands of times and have never fried any.

Comment

Aye the half dozen unlucky ones
                            Nah, you lot all love me...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                              Several of you are partly right.

As long as the alternator is working into a load (a battery which isn't f*cked open circuit) you'll be OK. When jump starting, you're running into two batteries so there shouldn't be an issue.

If you somehow disconnect the battery when the alternator is supplying high current into a flat battery, you can get a phenomena called a 'load dump transient' which can be anything up to a few hundred volts for a few milliseconds, which could damage sensitive electronics.

However, the above can be mitigated by leaving the leads connected with both engines running for a few minutes.

I know this because I test it as part of Def-Stan 61-5 Part 6 (automotive power systems) so dont argue!
                              is there any mileage in running as much electrical equipment as possible when doing so?
                              私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Working...
                              X