Landcruiser Prado 2.4td

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landcruiser Prado 2.4td

Hi - I've recently bought an older landcruiser Prado at auction, it's a '93 model which has a 2.4td engine. I can't find an owners manual for this car, (got one for a later model, but it's not the same at all) - I've been told that it uses the same motor as a hi-lux. I've had no problems with it - I'm very chuffed as a matter of fact - but I'm a bit phased by all the 4wd trickery and acronym laden buttons... Do any of these ring a bell with you guys...

1. ECT ? Does this hold the gearbox from changing up (sport mode?)
    2. Overdrive - got a big red button on top of the gearbox marked overdrive as well as a button on the side of the gear lever (it's an auto) - is this for motorway cruising?
    3. hub lock button (right hand side of steering wheel)?
    4. H4 button (right hand side of steering wheel)?
    5. Orange "filter" light (comes on at startup)
    6. H - N - L4 lever (I know its the 4wd lever, but that's about it)
    7. twiddly choke button.

Any help (or directions to an owners manual for this model) would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by oddjones
    Hi - I've recently bought an older landcruiser Prado at auction, it's a '93 model which has a 2.4td engine. I can't find an owners manual for this car, (got one for a later model, but it's not the same at all) - I've been told that it uses the same motor as a hi-lux. I've had no problems with it - I'm very chuffed as a matter of fact - but I'm a bit phased by all the 4wd trickery and acronym laden buttons... Do any of these ring a bell with you guys...
    Theres definitely a few buttons in common heres a few answers I am sure others will fill in the gaps
    1. ECT ? Does this hold the gearbox from changing up (sport mode?)

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/showthread.php?t=1335

2. Overdrive - got a big red button on top of the gearbox marked overdrive as well as a button on the side of the gear lever (it's an auto) - is this for motorway cruising?
    This button switches off overdrive and hence keeps the revs higher at speed

7. twiddly choke button.
    This sounds like the idle lift knob which raises the revs at idle and can be useful for warming the car up quicker or for winching or jump starting another vehicle.

Any help (or directions to an owners manual for this model) would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry I can only answer some the 4wd controls sound very different
    Darren
    Last edited by Darren; 27 May 2004, 14:49.

Comment

Reckon this is front locking hubs. Allows you to unlock the front hubs for more economy when you are running on road. You need to have the hubs locked to actually be in 4wd, even if you have 4wd selected.
      Selects 4WD high ratio. If like the Surf you can select this at up to 60kph
      This means that the fuel filter needs changing, generally means there is water in the water trap.
      This is used to select Low ratio. You use the dash button to select 4wd H, then when stationary you move the lever from H to L4 to select low ratio. Again if it is like the Surf it will automatically select 4wd if you select low ratio no matter whether the dash button is pressed or not. Can only be done when gearbox is in Neutral (not Park).
      7. twiddly choke button.
      Allows you to speed up idle speed when using a high drain electrical item when stationary and engine running, such as a Winch.

Cheers

Comment

Wow - thanks

You guys certainly know your stuff - and thanks for the speedy replies... Now all I need to know is where I can get an 8 CD cartridge for the auto changer in the glovebox... (and an England flag to hang off the interesting flagpole attached to the front bumper - I know it's a parking aid, but it does just beg to have a flag attached to it...)

Comment

Originally posted by oddjones
          You guys certainly know your stuff - and thanks for the speedy replies... Now all I need to know is where I can get an 8 CD cartridge for the auto changer in the glovebox... (and an England flag to hang off the interesting flagpole attached to the front bumper - I know it's a parking aid, but it does just beg to have a flag attached to it...)
          You might want to try a Toyota Dealer. The 93 Prado was also officially imported to the UK as the Landcruiser 2 I think.

Cheers

Comment

Theres a 2LTE engine in there I reckon, just like in many of our 2nd gen surfs ('91-'95). I had a look in the engine bay of a '92 2.4 prado and thats what was in there, although the power steering pulley was on the LHS as you look in.

Comment

The LJ70 series of Land Cruisers was manufactured for a very long time and in several countries. Production started in Japan in 1983 and finished there in 1996 and Toyota may have continued to build LJ's in Brazil after '96.

Most LJ70's had versions of the 2LT diesel but they were also built with the 1KZ-E and 1KZ-TE diesels and other engines. The engine is probably the only major item that they have in common with Surfs and Hiluxes.

Comment

LC70s are still sold in Japan, South Africa and Australia amongst others (according to the Toyota web sites).

Comment

I hope the first thing you did was drain the water from the filter.

Neville

Comment

http://www.brian894x4.com/LC70shortmediummain.html

Nice web page and just imagine ....a factory built SWB model with a 4500cc petrol engine

Comment

This filter light thing...

The "FILTER" light that NiftyNev highlighted... it goes out when I start the car up - so that's OK right? If it's not - where do I find the filter (I assume it's one of those see-through in-line fuel filter thingummies?)
                      Last edited by oddjones; 8 June 2004, 21:36. Reason: posted the rest of this issue intech (where it seemed more appropriate)

Comment

Working...
                      X