Quick resistor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick resistor question

Can anyone tell me what value resistor i would need to connect a ultra bright led to to give less than 12volt? say 9-10v so it's not so bright, running other leds from a 12v source but just need to cut the power down to these two (side lights on a model, amber), off to maplins on the way out for tonight before they shut but thought i'd ask so i can quite what i want instead of relying the spotty c### behind the counter
    i thank you
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

The guys at the electronics counter are usually pretty clued up.

These days it isn't always so simple as shooting for 20mA, though its usually a pretty good start. For 12v it is 600 ohms (I think 620 is nearest value), so increase that value to reduce the brightness.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Might do. With LEDs its a matter of limiting current really, so it would be a case of suck it and see depending on the design of the dimmer.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Cheers, ok the bloke at maplins was very good, as he said he's guessing as i did'nt know the forward voltage or limiting voltage of the two leds, so he sold me some 680's, i'll give em a try, btw when one orderes leds from goodwills anyway ya get 470ohm resistors for running on 12v thats the ultra-bright leds
        Last edited by POPEYE; 17 October 2009, 08:46.
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
        X