Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question

Afternoon Peeps,

I'm looking for a 4x4 for towing my caravan (sorry but it's got to be done !)and it looks like a Surf will fit the bill BUT I like to accelerate so what choices do I have in a 3.0 diesel ?

I get the impression that there's a 3.0 intercooled turbo diesel but the dealers I've spoken to all plead ignorance - can any of you gurus give me some details on what models and specs are available ?

Ta !
    Life is too important to take seriously !

I hate caravans

It really goes against the grain to offer advice to a "Caravaneer" (I am honestly banned for life from the caravan club and proud of it!), but 3rd gen surfs have a 3.0l turbo intercooler which has a large central air intake on the bonnet. I think you'll find that there are a number of surfers who tow the unspeakable infernal contraptions. Try searching the forum for "caravan" or "towing"
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Poll

This sounds like a thread that could start a 'do we like caravans poll'..............!!

Comment

SLOW DOWN we already have a surf towing & caravan thread in none surf related stuff
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker
          It really goes against the grain to offer advice to a "Caravaneer" (I am honestly banned for life from the caravan club and proud of it!), but 3rd gen surfs have a 3.0l turbo intercooler which has a large central air intake on the bonnet. I think you'll find that there are a number of surfers who tow the unspeakable infernal contraptions. Try searching the forum for "caravan" or "towing"
          3rd Gens are from '96 to '02
          Not certain if intercooler was at any point standard, but 96-97 certainly came in both standard and intercooled form, any 98- onwards ones I have seen have been intercooled, but not sure if all definatly are.
          My own 96 is not intercooled, I've not yet towed with it but reckon it would have plenty of power to do so (having towed often enough in the past with various cars - never a caravan though!)
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

How can you be against caravans given the horrendous contraptions you lot drag around with you.
            Rockey (Ace Carper)
            [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
            [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

If it's of any consolation there are 3 things I hate on the road:

Volvo's
              Caravan's
              4x4's

Guess what my current towcar is !

I'm not a stereotypical Volvo driver or caravanner - just as you don't fit the 4x4 stereotype.

On Sunday I dragged my van up the hill from High Wycombe towards the M40 - nothing overtook me and I was still accelerating at the top .......

You can be safe and still enjoy your driving (and towing !)
              Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Well I've just recently PX'd my Volvo for a Surf so I can tow my caravan easier. So now I tow a bigger caravan with a bigger 4x4 and it's soooo much easier. Don't know it's on the back most of the time.
                Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by rockey
                  How can you be against caravans given the horrendous contraptions you lot drag around with you.
                  Rockey (Ace Carper)
                  How can you say WALES is Gods country living in Sussex!!!
                  (ps my surf is at Hove cricket ground tomorrow)
                  Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

How can you say WALES is Gods country living in Sussex!!!
                    (ps my surf is at Hove cricket ground tomorrow)
                    West Sussex IS God's Country

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
                    X