No announcement yet.

It begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoshi, that looks great, I've never really thought much about the jimny but that looks like a very capable machine, really impressed.
    And loving the endo pic .
    Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
      Yoshi, that looks great, I've never really thought much about the jimny but that looks like a very capable machine, really impressed.
      And loving the endo pic .
      Thanks Neal, glad you like it.
      Brian

Comment

Made a start on my bumper after work today.

Got some 3mm bent up at a local engineer's and Pete gave me a large sheet of 14 gauge to make my end sections {thanks mate}

So made some box to fit inside the chassis

Then welded some nuts in place that will slide inside the chassis only one in each tonight as I don't have the shorter ones I need for further inside the chassis yet.

Fit in chassis like so

So stage one finished the indicators and brake lights will be fitted this week.
        Then the difficult bit, making the side sections to in fill below and round the lights.

Brian

Comment

Nice one - wouldn't have even thought one of those could look so good
          How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

What size/power welder you using there yoshie?
            Remember arrows are silent.....................
            Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Snap On branded Cebora 130amp Paul.
              Gets penetration through the 3mm mild easily as long as you run a fairly wide even arc.I have perviously done a cage with 3.2mm wall thickness and it managed that fine. I use Co2 because it's free the argon mix stuff is so much nicer to use thou.
              When I upgrade I will look for a Cebora 160amp as I think that's the ideal machine for doing chassis rails or cages mate.
              Brian

Comment

I've got an old 110amp converted to gasless so crap for anything structural.
                Great for odd jobs and panels.
                So a 160amp on argon would be prefered choice to get best penatration on 3-5mm steel.
                I best talk nicely to santa then....
                Would love a small tig machine but cannot justify the price against use....
                And mig is sooooo much quicker and easier.

All i need to do is find some local free range 2" steel box section.
                Gates at work are just the right size do ya think they would notice......

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  i have one in the garage, and a gearbox and T/case, but for some reason truck building is frowned apon while indoors get wet everytime it rains!

once house is done, its going in.

You were saying that at least two years before you STARTED on the house!
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Paul1566 View Post
                    So a 160amp on argon would be prefered choice to get best penatration on 3-5mm steel.

Cheers
                    You can weld nicely?

We need to talk...
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I can weld...... nicely is a different matter....
                      need to get meself a decent gased machine with plenty of amps.....
                      I could teach you in 10 minutes it's easy as brain surgery on a jelly fish....

Comment

Originally posted by Paul1566 View Post

Cheers
                        Paul a Co2 argon mix {normally 20% argon} keeps the splatter away that you get with Co2 alone.
                        160amp will do 3/5mm and maybe thicker. Cebora are a quality brand you can't go worng, some are re badged for sale as snap on.

A TIG welder hmmm would be sweet, I spent 8yrs doing nothing but TIG, mainly stainless. As you say a grand for a unit is hard to justify, although it could double as a plasma cutter.
                        Brian

Comment

Now plasm cutter i want one......first time i saw one it was like frikin starwars moment friend was just cutting a car door in 2 with a shower of sparks, was awesome........

I can get a decent weld with me gasless setup the finish is just like a good stick weld but its no where near as deep and strong as gas.
                          Great for working outside tho.....
                          Last edited by Paul1566; 7 December 2009, 16:25.

Comment

Yoshie, we had an off road event at the weekend, There was a Jimny down from Slovakia, great truck, done really well.

The axles were from an UAZ Russian 4X4

There was also a few few toyota's
                            Last edited by slobodan; 7 December 2009, 17:23.
                            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Nice wee truck front and rear winch, beadlocks and coilovers I bet that puts a few expensive toys to shame.
                              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                                Nice wee truck front and rear winch, beadlocks and coilovers I bet that puts a few expensive toys to shame.
                                It put everybody to shame
                                Those UAZ axles are strong, I think the rear was welded.
                                I want a Jimny now.
                                Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Working...
                                X