No announcement yet.

The age old problem of knackered heads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The age old problem of knackered heads!

Had my fears confirmed today. The head is knackered in some way. Until I actually get in to look at it (or rather get the nice chaps at the garage to whip it off and look at it) I won't know if it's just the gasket or if it's cracked & I need a new head.

Has anyone ever bought the new head set from Roughtrax? Any idea how long it takes to come through?

If it's just the gasket the garage are reckoning it'll cost £350-400 all in to fix it.

Bugger.

fitted one to my 3.0 today,took 2 days to come

Comment

ps it will most likely be the head,sorry

Comment

that seems awfully expensive, round this way your looking around £200-£250 cheaper if you supply parts
        Me........... NEVER

Comment

Originally posted by tillytops View Post
          that seems awfully expensive, round this way your looking around £200-£250 cheaper if you supply parts
          u know a mechanic that will fit a head gasket on a 3.0 for a hundred quid?i bet he is busy/broke

Comment

might just be round here or struck it lucky in cheap mechanics but the mot place i use he never overcharges and does honest job very rare breed
            Me........... NEVER

Comment

Originally posted by tillytops View Post
              might just be round here or struck it lucky in cheap mechanics but the mot place i use he never overcharges and does honest job very rare breed
              100 quid is waaaaay to cheap,any good mechanic,after inspecting a head,even if it looks ok would test and skim the head,no matter what,that best part of a hundred quid on its own,let alone the labour for head removal/replace,sorry but a 100 quid head gasket change is sumone doing it on the cheap,not doing it properly,and besides its academic on most surfs,as its nearly always the head gone,sorry dont mean to shoot you down in flames,but wrong to give people the idea its gonna be a cheap fix,it wont

Comment

i wasnt talking about all the skimming ect just the gasket change if it was to do all the rest of course that would be to cheap. the engineers who skim and pressure test the heads charge at least £100
                Me........... NEVER

Comment

sorry wasnt advising cheap fix ,of the habit of running round myself and getting tests done then if confirmed if we cant do it or dont have time then take it there got stung by a different garage a few years ago being told things needed doing and they didnt so always check everything now.It is a pain running here there and everywhere but rather use places i trust.
                  Me........... NEVER

Comment

Working...
                  X