Random: Acrylic/glass tube/jar wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random: Acrylic/glass tube/jar wanted

A completely random question, but as I have tried and failed to find anything suitable I thought I would ask here in the vain hope someone might have an idea!

I am trying to construct a fancy dress costume for a party where I will be a dismembered head in specimen jar! I thought it would be easy to get some perspex sheets and curve them into a cylinder.

Anyway, as it turns out I don't think even 2mm perspex/acrylic can be curved into the required cylinder size (approx 300mm diameter, maybe 340mm tall/long). I have found off-the-shelf clear acrylic tubes for cheap but they don't go big enough and I have found exactly the right size clear acrylic tubes but have been quoted over £170 for one! I have looked at trying to get a cheap cylindrical fishtank but no joy and even looked at actual jars and stuff but can't find anything big enough.

Anyone here worked with clear acrylic in any way who can offer advice/ideas? Or ideas where to get a clear cylinder of some sort I can stick on my head all in the name of a stupid drunken night out!?
    No longer a Surf owner.

Originally posted by codlord View Post
    A completely random question, but as I have tried and failed to find anything suitable I thought I would ask here in the vain hope someone might have an idea!

I am trying to construct a fancy dress costume for a party where I will be a dismembered head in specimen jar! I thought it would be easy to get some perspex sheets and curve them into a cylinder.

Anyway, as it turns out I don't think even 2mm perspex/acrylic can be curved into the required cylinder size (approx 300mm diameter, maybe 340mm tall/long). I have found off-the-shelf clear acrylic tubes for cheap but they don't go big enough and I have found exactly the right size clear acrylic tubes but have been quoted over £170 for one! I have looked at trying to get a cheap cylindrical fishtank but no joy and even looked at actual jars and stuff but can't find anything big enough.

Anyone here worked with clear acrylic in any way who can offer advice/ideas? Or ideas where to get a clear cylinder of some sort I can stick on my head all in the name of a stupid drunken night out!?
    Go and see your nearest fresh water business supplier, the ones who do offices, they have the big water bottles that sit on top the machine, should be perfect for what you want, some of the large tesco's do them as well,
    www.furryfriendsinneed.com

Comment

You could knock the bottom off a demi-john (wine making bottle).

Some gardeners use these as cloches (with the bottom knocked off).

Just don't cut your head off for real with the bottom edge.

Comment

You could also pm mattf...i'm sure he was conceived in something like you're looking for
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Two brilliant ideas! Never thought of those. I'll look into it!

How would you evenly cut the top/bottom off a demijohn?

Thanks
          No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
            You could also pm mattf...i'm sure he was conceived in something like you're looking for
            Yeah, but not sure i'd want to get anywhere near it, let alone put my head in it!
            No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
              You could knock the bottom off a demi-john (wine making bottle).

Some gardeners use these as cloches (with the bottom knocked off).

Just don't cut your head off for real with the bottom edge.
              Might be a bit dodgy using real glass on a bender though. Plus, just checked and a standard size one wouldn't fit unless you have a really small head.

Might be worthwhile checking with a glaziers Simon. I'm almost certain they use a thin acrylic type sheet to do secondary glazing on old style windows which can't be replaced with double glazing. Might be worth just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                Pfff...

Comment

Originally posted by codlord View Post
                  Two brilliant ideas! Never thought of those. I'll look into it!

How would you evenly cut the top/bottom off a demijohn?

Thanks
                  String soaked in alcohol wrapped around where you want the break and set it alight, (or something along those lines) is the method, if I recall. I think you then give it a tap and it supposedly breaks cleanly along the hot line.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    String soaked in alcohol wrapped around where you want the break and set it alight, (or something along those lines) is the method, if I recall. I think you then give it a tap and it supposedly breaks cleanly along the hot line.
                    AHA!! Thanks Matt....someone had suggested using the jars as cloches to my wife...and I hadn't really worked out how to knock the bottom off without making a hash of it.....gonna work through a few this weekend now ....proper manly stuff....using fire and breaking things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                      proper manly stuff....using fire and breaking things.
                      Blokes and fire. Lethal combination. I'd recommend testing the method on an old jam jar or two first, before you let loose on the good stuff. I'll see if I can dig the full info on the method out for you, just incase I've forgotten part of it.

Comment

Various methods, (including that one, but using turpentine instead of alcohol), listed here:

http://chestofbooks.com/search.html?...sa=Search#1169

Comment

we use an impact resistant (bullet proof plastic) for machine tool guards at work - called MAKROLON. this is available in thin sheets - around 2mm. it can be heated and shaped with a hot air gun around a former.
                          I remember making some large curved lamp shades a few years ago from this.
                          try your local plastics supplier.
                          as for cutting demijohns - i recall seeing something on tv a while ago. the glass jar was filled with cool oil up to point where the break was required, then a glowing red hot poker was plunged into the oil until cool. the top of the jar is then tapped with a hammer and breakes free cleanly along the fill line. - may work with demijohns if you have a big enough poker???
                          Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                            Various methods, (including that one, but using turpentine instead of alcohol), listed here:

http://chestofbooks.com/search.html?...sa=Search#1169
                            I'll try it.........and take pictures.....for comedy value

Comment

that's the daftedst fancy dress idea i've ever heard!... how are you going to drink???!!!!

golden rule... never cover your mouth!
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X