Brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake question

So this being my first auto gearbox vehicle I'm using the brakes loads more now as I can't slow using the gears and thus am expecting to renew the pads/shoes more often (in theory), have noticed a bit of a squeak noise appear on the first couple of touches of the brake on any given journey and then disappears, the wheels are coated in brake dust and as yet I haven't been able to get rid of it, even soaked them in wheel cleaner and then used a jet wash to try and get rid of it also spraying the calipers (with the jet wash, not the cleaner), but after the jet wash (and a first gingerly trip out) I noticed the squeak went for a few days then came back, so am I getting a rapid build up of dust or could this slight squeak be the first indicators of the pads needing replacement. I can't jack it up here very well because it's loose ground and not level so have been unable to check the pad wear. Gut instinct says dust since the noise went for allmost two weeks after the wash but just curious as to what you guys/gals think. . I've allways replaced the pads before they get to low so have never heard the niose you get from the indicators but with this one, I can't see the pad wear without taking the wheel off and am worried if I go to a garage with it they'll say "ooooo yeah, big job that, we'll have to replace your entire braking system" lol, you know what I'm getting at.
    Neal

Are you using cheap pads?
    Is there a lip on the edge of the discs?
    Are the discs warped?
    I've used Mr Muscle oven cleaner on alloys before, it works better than off the shelf wheel cleaners. Spray on a good thick coating, wait 30 mins. and hose off.

Comment

You can slow using the gears - though I'm assuming you mean on hills etc. Just pop it into 2nd (or 1st on steeper hills at <20mph or so).
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

"Are you using cheap pads?
        Is there a lip on the edge of the discs?
        Are the discs warped?
        I've used Mr Muscle oven cleaner on alloys before, it works better than off the shelf wheel cleaners. Spray on a good thick coating, wait 30 mins. and hose off. "

Am unsure of pad quality, they are the ones that were on it when I bought it.
        Discs seem ok, did think about that and had a freind roll the surf down hill while I listened for any rubbing, also got a small straight edge on the disc through the wheel and had no play all round.
        Mr muscle, hmmmm, didn't think of that one, will give that a go, cheers, sure the missus has got some.
        Neal

Comment

maybe me, but I've noticed that if I take my foot right off the accelerator it freewheels.
          If I add a tiny bit of pressure, it engine brakes. I just thought clever old Japs.
          Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

"You can slow using the gears - though I'm assuming you mean on hills etc. Just pop it into 2nd (or 1st on steeper hills at <20mph or so)."

Sorry mate, yes that is what I mean, not allways very good at getting my point across.
            Neal

Comment

Hi mate,

Just changed my pads and the wheels are covered
              in brake dust, and they give a grinding noise when
              creeping. It's bacause there's no asbestos in pads
              anymore, they're made by Mintex BTW. Toyota pads
              have a steel clip fitted that scrapes on the disk when
              pads are worn down to just above the limit.
              Hope this helps.

Gman.
              If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

"Hi mate,

Just changed my pads and the wheels are covered
                in brake dust, and they give a grinding noise when
                creeping. It's bacause there's no asbestos in pads
                anymore, they're made by Mintex BTW. Toyota pads
                have a steel clip fitted that scrapes on the disk when
                pads are worn down to just above the limit.
                Hope this helps.

Gman. "

Ah, that would suggest that the noise would be happening all the time every time I used the brakes then, so as suspected it should just be a build up of dust then, still, I don't need to use the surf to much over the next few weeks and have a holiday in november so will see if I can find a place to be able to jack her up and take a proper look see.
                Cheers.
                Neal

Comment

Working...
                X