Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy duty pipe bender........

Hi peeps,

Does anyone have access to, or know where I can hire, a very heavy duty pipe bender.

And I mean being able to bend scaffolding poles (hopefully without having to warm them through)

Or - any ideas on building one with a big hydraulic jack and a frame, rollers etc

Ideas, hints, tips

TIA
    Another member of the 'A' team

Fill the pipe with wet sand gaffer tape each end. This helps greatly in keeping the creases away. Scaffold is terrible to work with thou.
    3mm wall thick seamed tube is only £5 per meter and if you make sure the seam is not on the inside or outside off the bend it makes very decent cages.
    It can also be bent with a £80 machine mart bender using the above method.
    For a fraction of the cost of cold rolled tube
    Brian

Comment

If you ate going to bend scaffolding andy, however you do it you will need the movable roller to be driven. Whwn I was younger I had a job fabricating poly tunnels and we used an industrial pipe bender... The end two rollers being fixed and the middle roller being adjustable. They are a real bind to bend, as the hoop being formed tends to twist at the same time. I reckon your best off trying to obtain a proper set of pipe rollers, maybe from an old factory sale?
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

where is wodders when ya need a heavy duty bender?
        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

The scaffold was to get your attention! But I am going big lol

Yoshie - you and me may be having a little chat next weekend

Gra - read and understood

So, big tube bumpers - here we come

Comment

this is what brians talking about, or similar
            http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ic-pipe-bender
            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

That would be pfeterable to a driven roller. You would have much more control, being able to bend a few degrees at a time
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

andy go down to your nearest pipeline centre and get some good old fashioned black iron steam pipe about £30 for a 6mtr length in 2" od.ive never had the need to use anything else and you wont need to fill it with sand.its about a 5mm wall thickness and i have a 15 ton bender here if you wanna borrow it.just shout mate.also see if you can get a few mtrs of 3/8 bundy you can use this to pre fab your bends then check the pipe in the bender to make sure your angles are right before you remove it from the machine.and dont forget to allow for the bend centres.
                Last edited by surfenstein; 3 October 2009, 09:10.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

We used to bend upto 2" black iron pipe (what mark's referring to) in a bender very similar to this,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-TONNE-HYDRA...d=p3286.c0.m14

but i'm not sure if a 12 ton would last long if it were used for 2" all the time ( 2" is the max size for this bender)

Good luck

Alan
                  www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                    andy go down to your nearest pipeline centre and get some good old fashioned black iron steam pipe about £30 for a 6mtr length in 2" od.ive never had the need to use anything else and you wont need to fill it with sand.its about a 5mm wall thickness and i have a 15 ton bender here if you wanna borrow it.just shout mate.also see if you can get a few mtrs of 3/8 bundy you can use this to pre fab your bends then check the pipe in the bender to make sure your angles are right before you remove it from the machine.and dont forget to allow for the bend centres.
                    cool,can u look here then mate?
                    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...=43502&page=25

Comment

OK - thanks for all the info guys.

Mark - I'm not ready for this project yet but I will be in touch - I'm in research mode at the mo.

Comment

I'm about to build a sturdy 7x10 shed. Planning to build it with the suspended floor rather than concrete (for practical reasons and cost) and base the structure on 2x4 and 2x3 quality joist timber with 9 or 12mm external ply walls. Although this sounds expensive purpose-built sheds are often weak, not durable, and likely require a concrete base.
                        It struck me that scaffolding poles would have strength, durability, and possibly overall time advantages over a wood framework. A quick google tells me that inc delivery 12 10ft scaffolding poles £187 and 12 2x4" 3m regularized, preserved timber £77 (not looked at cheaper/second-hand materials or cost joining accessories). Choosing 12 of each just for discussion because that would be the basis of a stable cube. Obviously, a lot of extra timber would be required in either case.
                        Major practical difficulties might be in joining square-edged timber walls etc to the round scaffolding poles and concealing them ( Mrs oldie wouldn't accept sticky out bits at scaffolding joints).
                        Any thoughts, please? I emphasize I wouldn't make a large, complex structure as the thought of being caught in collapsing scaffolding doesn't appeal.

Comment

Working...
                        X