Egr??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egr??

Thinking about blocking the EGR tube on my surf. What do think guys? My 3 ltr lump is running just sweet at the moment so maybe i should just leave it alone. Im eager to see if theres any difference in performance or mpg.
    There is plenty of info on here but i just want last minute opinions before i go ahead.

Comment

it's completely reversible...

disconnect, if no difference, re-connect it!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

If anything the mpg should be worse.... should'nt it .....

Get the mpg with it on and off...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Get rid!! be gone! dead weight!
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

on this subject i have noticed a little light gray smoke when i put my foot down .dont get any smoke in the isuzu and that's been disconnected

Comment

fonecrusher

I also have a sweet 3rd gen, not a smoker but was also interested in blocking the egr (used to do it as a matter of course with pajero's just to reduce black smoke)

Did mine with a ball bearing about 4 weeks ago and seems to pick up quicker but that might just be my mind playing tricks.

one other benefit is that the temp gauge doesn't come up as far, now staying in the bottom third of the gauge and, even when towing the caravan, it doesn't go up as far.

winner as far as I'm concerned - if you do it but don't like it just take out the ball bearing again, no problem

hope this helps

hawaii
              I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii View Post
                fonecrusher

I also have a sweet 3rd gen, not a smoker but was also interested in blocking the egr (used to do it as a matter of course with pajero's just to reduce black smoke)

Did mine with a ball bearing about 4 weeks ago and seems to pick up quicker but that might just be my mind playing tricks.

one other benefit is that the temp gauge doesn't come up as far, now staying in the bottom third of the gauge and, even when towing the caravan, it doesn't go up as far.

winner as far as I'm concerned - if you do it but don't like it just take out the ball bearing again, no problem

hope this helps

hawaii
                Thanks for the advice Hawaii (& everyone else) What the hell, i'l do it tommorrow. Like you said if theres no difference just undo the blockage & everythings back to normal.
                Cheers

Comment

my isuzu has two screws in the ends of the two pipes (it seems to have two ege s)do you need to block the pipe and then refit the pipe or as on my isuzu just block the pipe and leave off

Comment

The purpose of the egr valve is to reduce NOX by making the engine run cooler you will get a reduction of black smoke out of the exhaust with it disconnected however do you want to risk the head by letting the engine run hotter I have run mine both ways and the difference in performance is negligible and not worth the risk to the head in my opinion.
                    ionic SURFactant

Comment

is this benificial to my 2nd gen, ad she's heating up a fair bit and smokey ATM.... and should i do it the way the Aussie tech site recommends, by puttin in bit of blanking steel across pipe

Comment

I did mine

I did mine and to be honest I noticed little diff with mpg or power but it deffo did stop the black smoke thing when you have to put your foot down,,, hope this help's
                        P S temps have stayed the same with motorway,,, A roads or towing Ive not had any probs at all,,,12 months on,,, It might do a teeny bit more mpg but hardly as you'd notice, same for power,, I personaly think its a bit phsyco sematic and you just think it has more but it deffo did stop the puff of smoke in the morning and when ive had to put my foot down,,,
                        "Wow" can it do that !

Comment

Originally posted by steved View Post
                          The purpose of the egr valve is to reduce NOX by making the engine run cooler you will get a reduction of black smoke out of the exhaust with it disconnected however do you want to risk the head by letting the engine run hotter I have run mine both ways and the difference in performance is negligible and not worth the risk to the head in my opinion.
                          Blocking the EGR will not crack heads. The engine does not use the EGR 99.99% of the time anyway. Don't believe me? Connect a vacuum gauge to the small butterfly hose (the bottom one) or to the EGR vacuum hose and see for yourself.

Nev

Comment

if you pi$$ in the fuel tank, the urea in your urine will do the same thing!...

modern HGVs use either EGR or ADBlue in the exhaust sytem to reduce nitrogen emissions.... Adblue is man made urea in distilled water...

if you evaporate the water from ADblue... you get white crystals of saltpetre (potassium nitrate) mix 75% with 15% charcoal and 10% sulphur you get gunpowder!
                            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                              if you pi$$ in the fuel tank, the urea in your urine will do the same thing!...

modern HGVs use either EGR or ADBlue in the exhaust sytem to reduce nitrogen emissions.... Adblue is man made urea in distilled water...

if you evaporate the water from ADblue... you get white crystals of saltpetre (potassium nitrate) mix 75% with 15% charcoal and 10% sulphur you get gunpowder!
                              Aye! made some when i was a kid, in the days when a "kid" could go into a chemist and actually buy that sort of stuff, now ya need a "black powder" lience for it,
                              as for the EGR, when i stripped all the bits off, the inlet manifold was well caked up with black oily shoit, years of build up, that alone is good reason to remove it, in my mind exhaust gasses should go out the exhaust and not back through the engine,
                              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                              X