done my lift today! woo hoo...but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• done my lift today! woo hoo...but

jsut did my suspension lift today. was pretty easy. once i got my head under there i could see how it all worked. i now realise how silly some of my question may have been! lol oh well.

anyway, my question is..............when i raised the rear i got +4"!! was very happy with that!
    however when i raised my torsion bars up at the front +2", it allmost leveled itself out!? also the torsion bars were red AND 25mm thick. i read that 25 & 26mm bars were uprated bars?

right, so if you raise the rear 4" then you'd expect to raise the front 3" maybe 3 1/2" to get it sitting level again. correct?? (the surf's arent meant to be perfectly level are they. the rears are meant to be a tiny bit higer)
    well i had only raised the torsion bars by 2" and it was sitting perfect like it did before i did the lift. (level wise)
    have my torsion bars already been wound up? im thinking they must have?
    if so, then that would mean ive raised them another 2" ontop of however much they have been wound up before???
    is this going to be a problem if this is the case?

EDIT: also there was about an inch of the bolt sticking out the top nut that the adjusting bolt/nut goes through.
    now ive raised them 2" the top of the bolt is almost touching the uderneath of the truck.
    is that normal? or a clear sign that its been raised before?
    Last edited by goodcat; 17 September 2009, 17:18.

By lifting the rear the front lifts a little normally

And yes to your edit question
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
      By lifting the rear the front lifts a little normally

And yes to your edit question
      true. i just wouldnt've thought by that much though.

and as for my edit question...i actually asked 2 questions! lol so which one were you saying yes too mate?

Comment

Pure guess work mate but it does sound like they'd already been raised or they were +2" replacement bars, i'd imaging if the adjuster bolt is near touching the floorpan it's at the limit of it's adjustment, (youll have more room there when/if you do the bodylift as well) anyhoo if its sitting level at around 4" overall lift your a happy bunny are you not?
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
          Pure guess work mate but it does sound like they'd already been raised or they were +2" replacement bars, i'd imaging if the adjuster bolt is near touching the floorpan it's at the limit of it's adjustment, (youll have more room there when/if you do the bodylift as well) anyhoo if its sitting level at around 4" overall lift your a happy bunny are you not?
          oh mate im thrilled with the lift i got from the springs! never thought it would be as much as it was!
          was just concerned that ive over wound my bars up and that i was driving too much on the limit of them.

im sure they are the uprated bars aka +2" bars but doesnt the +2" just mean they are made to cope with a +2" lift....NOT that by simply fitting the +2 bars that this alone will raise the truck? i didnt think they worked like that?

Comment

Originally posted by goodcat View Post
            oh mate im thrilled with the lift i got from the springs! never thought it would be as much as it was!
            was just concerned that ive over wound my bars up and that i was driving too much on the limit of them.

im sure they are the uprated bars aka +2" bars but doesnt the +2" just mean they are made to cope with a +2" lift....NOT that by simply fitting the +2 bars that this alone will raise the truck? i didnt think they worked like that?
            They don't, and the yes was a yes to the bolt almost touching floor as you have no body lift

Uprated bars are normally red they are stronger apparently
            Brian

Comment

BEFORE

AND AFTER

EDIT: hard to see by the pics by belive me there is another 4" under my rear arches now! and another 2" (and a fraction) under the fronts. yet it sits level? lol oh well.
              Last edited by goodcat; 17 September 2009, 17:56.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                They don't, and the yes was a yes to the bolt almost touching floor as you have no body lift

Uprated bars are normally red they are stronger apparently
                oh ok cool. cheers.

Comment

Aye! definatly looks much better mate, nice truck, so! is a body lift next or ya leaveing it at that?

As yoshie said, i'm not sure how +2" uprated bars work, i assumed by fitting em they gave you an extra 2" lift without adjustment but never done it so aint looked into it, mine went up a fair bit with the LC springs but i never did measure it before or after, i guess i've ended up with about 6" lift on the back given the springs and body lift and 33's and around 4-5" on the front, mine does sit a bit nose down but i cant raise it anymore as it wont fit in the garage, as it is the roof lights have about 1" clearance with the ceiling, (and the mrs has enought prob getting in as it is)
                  Attached Files
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                    Aye! definatly looks much better mate, nice truck, so! is a body lift next or ya leaveing it at that?

As yoshie said, i'm not sure how +2" uprated bars work, i assumed by fitting em they gave you an extra 2" lift without adjustment but never done it so aint looked into it, mine went up a fair bit with the LC springs but i never did measure it before or after, i guess i've ended up with about 6" lift on the back given the springs and body lift and 33's and around 4-5" on the front, mine does sit a bit nose down but i cant raise it anymore as it wont fit in the garage, as it is the roof lights have about 1" clearance with the ceiling, (and the mrs has enought prob getting in as it is)
                    cheers mate. the extra gap between the rear arches was the same as a can of coke put it that way.
                    and no, the next step is 2" BJ's hopefully this saturday if Stormforce sends them to me in time. if not then it will be Next saturday.
                    also ive only recently shelled out the money to buy my rims and tyres! so buying another set so soon will just insult my pocket a bit too much
                    i might just get bigger tyres if the rims can handle them? i think they are 15x10.5? are they wide enough to fit 33's on? i hope so. dont wana buy a new set of rims aswell!
                    i will be doing a 2...maybe a 3" body lift when i get back from fishing in france in a few weeks.
                    not sure yet as i was a bit off when i realised i couldnt drive as fast as i used to due to the extra height! i think anymore height and ill be scared to go around bends over 30mph! lol

also ive noticed that since ive lifted her, she feels more pokey off the mark and also has more grunt in her sound? i have NO IDEA why or if im just being stupid but this is what it feels like lol
                    not that im complaining!

Comment

oh another thing that may help solve the mystery if it has been raised before or not is.......the ARB's bolted straight back on!? didnt need to remove them or alter them. same goes for the brakes lines and the LSV.
                      again not that im complaining! lol just struckme as weird that the ARB's went back on fine?

oh and pretty sure that the +2 bars do not work like that. they are mearly stronger to accomodate a +2 lift.

Comment

Its arse is a bit saggy, that's where the extra inch came from. I got almost 5", but my rear springs were uber saggy.
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          Its arse is a bit saggy, that's where the extra inch came from. I got almost 5", but my rear springs were uber saggy.
                          ive never noticed any sag before. i always thought it was higher if anything before. the springs were in good nick when i took them out. as were the shocks..............if anybody wants them?

Comment

same goes for the brakes lines and the LSV.
                            Are you sure about the LSV? It will go back on but unless you've spaced it up off the axle, it will be well out of adjustment. At least it will be out of adjustment with the brakes biased towards the front wheels rather than the back.
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

oh another thing that may help solve the mystery if it has been raised before or not is.......the ARB's bolted straight back on!? didnt need to remove them or alter them. same goes for the brakes lines and the LSV.
                              Why wouldn't they? They have a big enough range of movement. Just because they fit, doesn't mean they work properly and won't break in the future.

I'll bet you a pound to a pail of shite that the ARB end links aren't vertical. Actually, no need to look, unless Pythagoras was wrong, they can't be!
                              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                              X