check list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check list

right ive spent all day searching and double checking but still have 1 or 2 things i want clarification on.

ill be doing my lift on thursday and just want to double check stuff with people.

REAR LIFT:
    LC springs and shocks on the rear including alloy seat. CHECK!

remove/drop/adjust ARB's. CHECK!

unlcip BLS. see if its still ok with new springs in and axel at lowest point. CHECK!...but...QUESTION! what do i do if its too short?? what tips are there for ways around?

unclip brake lines. CHECK!.....but....QUESTION! again what do i do if they are too short? can i pin them up somewhere/somehow? (untill i buy extended brake lines....i totally forgot! lol)

FRONT LIFT:
    wind torsion bars up 2". CHECK...but with a QUESTION! mixed feelings in regards to this from a lot of guys. originally i was JUST going to put 2" BJ spacers on but was then advised that mot many people do this and that i should just wind the torsion bars up +2". can i do either 1 or the other and have no probs? or would it be best to fit 1 1/2" BJ's AND wnd torsion bars up 1/2" or so.
    i know its been disscussed but like i said, there have been mixed opinions on this.

also what other things do i need to adjust if i JUST wind the bars up? i.e steering column etc etc.

same question goes for if i JUST use BJ' spacers. anything else that needs adjusting/moving? (cheers for the heads up on cutting bits away as shown in your pics POPEYE)

and the same question goes again for if i do 1 1/2" BJ's combined with winding the torsion bars +1"

wasnt going to lower the diff as i have Manual Hubs on my surf.
    cheers guys.
    Last edited by goodcat; 15 September 2009, 13:24.

REAR;

Are you using the stock shocks? The lift with LC coils has been known to foul the original rear shocks but most aftermarket ones seem to be OK from what I have read. Also they are probably not long enough for the 4" lift you are likely to get with LC springs and spacers combined.

As a side note, I was able to fit +2" +20% springs without pulling the rear end apart, I just used 2 sets of spring compressors and just took the wheel off each side. The extra lift you need may not allow this but it's worth a shot to save all the hassle if it does work?!

FRONT;

Winding the torsion bars just increases the pre-tension and everything moves through it's natural articulation but you will lose a small amount of the ride quality and the ball joints are at a more extreme angle which will increase wear but it doesn't seem to bother anyone, however, if you fit ball joint spacers I think you need to adjust the wheel camber as it will seperate the wishbones and they are no longer the same distance apart. There is no need to adjust the steering column or anything else for either of these lift types.

That's how I understand it anyway.

I hope this helps,

Ray.
    Last edited by lord_flashart; 15 September 2009, 15:14.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Pretty much as he says... BJS will cost ya ££'s for Camber/Castor n tracking adjustment.
      However as ya already have Free Wheelin Hubs, this is what i'd do ...
      1st do the rear's n see where ya at n then just wind up the torsion bars for now !! not forgettin to turn the LSV through 180 degrees.

While ya enjoying ya Sus lift roadwise (no offroad, yet) ya could order Longer brake lines, BJS n do them both at the next stage along with Camber/Castor angle n tracking together .. Which is a Garage job !!
      Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n ya won't know when !!!!
      Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 15 September 2009, 17:37.
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

You will need to loosen the steering column to do the lift, don't forget to re-tighten!!!!

Make sure after lift that the fuel filler hose is still seated correctly.

Is it manual or auto, you might need to grind metal from tunnel for shifter on a manual.

You will need longer hoses on brakes if you intend having the suspension articulate to and great degree.

I just spun the bracket up on the rear balancer to keep it in it's natural position.

Torsion bar windup is fine for this type of lift.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

No need to touch the steering (as far as i know) for the suspension lift, you will have loosen all 3 clamps on the shaft for a body lift tho, true the old springs will come out with just some compressore but the LC springs are another story, stiff as assholes, did'nt even try to compress em with compressors,
          with LC springs i'd just dump the ARB, no problem at all without it,
          i've 2" BJ spacers and it definatly does knock out the camber, (yet to get that done,) went through the mot ok tho, it's just wearing my tyres on the outer edges, prob spacers and tweek the bars is best, as Jess said, do the back first then ya got an idea of how much the front will need,
          4" lift req for 33's on standard rim (standard offset wheel) i needed to cut some metal as me rims are reversed, and stick out further
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
            You will need to loosen the steering column to do the lift, don't forget to re-tighten!!!!

Make sure after lift that the fuel filler hose is still seated correctly.

Is it manual or auto, you might need to grind metal from tunnel for shifter on a manual.

You will need longer hoses on brakes if you intend having the suspension articulate to and great degree.

I just spun the bracket up on the rear balancer to keep it in it's natural position.

Torsion bar windup is fine for this type of lift.
            Think he's just doing sus lift
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Lord Flashart:
              cheers for the input mate. sorry if i wasnt clearer but yes i am using the LC shocks aswell.

Deisel:
              nice one mate! is the LSV (load sensor valve) the same thing as i was on about? the BLS (break load sensor)? if so nice one for the tip! and yeah i think ill do the BJ's on a sperate occasion. next week probably.

Kerrsurf: nice one about the fuel filler! totally forgot about that one! also thanks for letting me know i can get extended break lines at a later date and that the originals will be fine for now whilst its still on road. and thanks for telling me how to sort original lines for now.
              and FYI its just the sus lift for now.

Ian: cheers for putting my mind at rest about the steering column!
              im aware about what is needed for the 33's to go on but thanks anyway mate.
              i get a little rubbing as it is with 31's on my standard surf!
              probably becasue they are Khumos and they are "big" 31's if you know what i mean.

cheers guys. great help!

Comment

i have got the front extended brake lines if you need them but i forgot to take the rear one off today before scrapping the truck
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Very unlikely to require the rear line
                  Brian

Comment

You can flip the outer 'P' clips for the brake pipes on the rear axle and use a flat spacer on the diff one until you get longer flexi hoses.

You won't want to fit the rear anti roll bar back as the LC springs are stiff enough to not need it.

Make sure the front end it all off the ground and hanging free, don't stick the axle stands under the A arms.

Don't forget to count the number of turns on the first torsion bar bolt so you can do the other side the same. I'd take it for a drive after and measure each side to check they're even.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
                      You can flip the outer 'P' clips for the brake pipes on the rear axle and use a flat spacer on the diff one until you get longer flexi hoses.

You won't want to fit the rear anti roll bar back as the LC springs are stiff enough to not need it.

Make sure the front end it all off the ground and hanging free, don't stick the axle stands under the A arms.

Don't forget to count the number of turns on the first torsion bar bolt so you can do the other side the same. I'd take it for a drive after and measure each side to check they're even.

Good luck.
                      nice one mate! thanks for all of that.

will i need extended brake lines on the front aswell then??
                      if so ill take them Rich. thanks.
                      Jay

Comment

Originally posted by goodcat View Post
                        nice one mate! thanks for all of that.

will i need extended brake lines on the front aswell then??
                        if so ill take them Rich. thanks.
                        Jay
                        If your going to be off roading then i would go for the extended brake lines personally.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                          If your going to be off roading then i would go for the extended brake lines personally.
                          are they stainless and braided steel ones mate?

Comment

Originally posted by goodcat View Post
                            are they stainless and braided steel ones mate?
                            yes they are jay.they are the roughtrax extended braided lines which are the same as i have on my truck

Comment

my mistake, thought it was body lift.
                              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                              X