Scratched paintwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratched paintwork

I know this is a stupid question, but here goes!
    How do i avoid getting my paintwork badly scratched when I go offroad/greenlaning?
    Went offroad on sunday & ive now (after a washing it) discovered the sides of my surf are covered in loads of scratches. Its a right old mess!! Some of the tracks i was on were very overgrown but i didnt think surf's had such delicate paintwork.
    What do you guys do to keep your truck's paintwork relatively untouched?
    Is it just a case of; if ya wanna go offroad then ya gotta take the consequences?! or would it be worth mounting checker plate or something?

Don't wash it.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Buy another truck.

Keep one for shopping and washing/polishing and use the other for it's intended purpose.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
        Buy another truck.

Keep one for shopping and washing/polishing and use the other for it's intended purpose.
        So your car has massive scratches down the side of it & you dont mind?

Comment

Originally posted by fonecrusher1 View Post
          In his absence, I'll answer this.

Yep it does and no he doesn't. Mine is the same.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

If you saw my truck you would still want it, even with the scratches/badges of honour.
            Alan

Comment

I'm being flippant, look...if you don't want damage just go shopping in it. If you want to go offroad expect a few scars.
              Alan

Comment

Fair enough Albannach, i suppose its a typical beginner's question. Guess im gonna have to get used to the scratches coz im gonna be greenlaning/offroading a lot more. First time last sunday, what a day. Im hooked.

Comment

Just be careful what you drive into. I made my passengers get out and hold bushes and trees back for when I drove into the thick stuff. You cant help but get fine scratches...
                  However, these DO come out (or appear to vanish) with metallic paint restorer AND turtle wax. You can also buy this wax that is so thick you have to put it on with your fingers. I've never tried it myself though but it seems like a good thing to do. Here is a link for you.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/vi.../prod_309.html
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

T cut and coloured wax get to most of them but you are going to get scratches! i find a coating of mud helps keep the paint protected!!

Comment

3M make a heavy duty clear tape, I used to use it on the frame and fork legs of my trail bike. It certainly kept them from scratching but was very expensive if I remember correctly. The stuff I had came from Bristows ( the helicopter people) and was used for protecting rotor blades.

Comment

As others have said, laning and offroading will scratch the truck. If you cant accept that, dont do it.

Mine was pristine when I bought it, now it looks like someone has been at it with a brillo pad! The paint is matt in a lot of places! Some of the best lanes are very tight and overgrown, and the bushes (in Wales in particular) are generally gorse! No way you'd want to hold those back with your hands!

Get used to the scratches. Shows people you aren't a 'school run 4x4' for one thing

Anyway, scratches are the least of your worries. Wait til you rip sidewalls out, or bend track rods, rip CV boots on branches etc etc. All part and parcel mate! Enjoy!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Ahhh yes, there was something good about my old Nato green Land Rover.....
                          When it started looking tatty I’d just get out the mini rollers and give it another coat of paint
                          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

How do i avoid getting my paintwork badly scratched when I go offroad/greenlaning?
                            DON'T GO

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                            Don't wash it.
                            Is the other option, then you don't see the scratches

'tis the method I use
                            My other cars a QUAD
                            (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                            http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Fonecrusher I'm with you on this one. I could never get this ###### thing to stay shiny, so I sold it to blackpoolsparks

Last edited by yoshie; 11 September 2009, 13:21.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X