Oppinions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oppinions Please

i've been asked to write a report on the job i did the other week and it's been a long time since i wrote a drainage report so is this ok? look professional? the original builder has long since gone down the pan ( not surpriseingly) and apparantly he made an even bigger f##k up of the reaturant in chelsea, as useual the owners gone for a cheap job and now it's come back to bite his arse, your professional views most welcome, ta

REPORT ON SUSPECTED FOUL WATER LEAK AT THE MEMORY’S OF INDIA
    RESTURANT, BRIGHTON MARINA, BRIGHTON, SUSSEX,

Called to investigate suspected foul drain leak at above premises, reported leak coming from ceiling in “SUBWAY” sandwich bar below the restaurant, some sections of “stud” wall cut away in kitchen to inspect and trace source of leak, stagnant waste water found in service space behind wall and subsequently traced to broken 110mm plastic soil & vent waste pipe, this was cut and removed, rubber emergency coupling fitted and pipe work replaced and checked for free flow and leaks, all being well we advised the owner to leave the holes in the wall unsealed for a few weeks to allow air flow through this service space in order to let it dry out,

On further investigation of this soil & vent pipe work it was discovered that the whole system “had” been supported by only one saddle clamp sited up in the roof space which had finally broken allowing the weight of the pipe work to bear on the horizontal section behind the stud wall, this was too much for it and a “glued coupling” had finally given allowing the pipe work to drop approx 2-300mm, the joint had partially cracked and partially come apart indicating that it was not properly bonded in the first place, no attempt had been made during the initial installation to support this horizontal section or indeed much of the rest of the pipe work, little or no access to this service space was provided and given both hot and cold water supply’s are routed in this space it is a recipe for disaster

Also while investigating in the roof space we found a small leak on an access cap attached to the boiler condenser drain off “tun” dish pipe work, this was also replaced,
    Also found was a cracked 110mm plastic “tee” joint, this happened when the whole system dropped, as this is on the vent/anti airlock side of the pipe work (no water passes through this part) this crack was repaired with glue,,
    Finally supports were placed under the horizontal section to prevent it from being “under load” in the future,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Can I suggest?

We were called to investigate suspected foul drain leak from the above premises into the SUBWAY sandwich bar below.

Some sections of stud wall had to be cut away in the kitchen area to inspect and trace source of leak. Stagnant waste water was found in service space behind the wall and subsequently traced to a broken 110mm plastic soil & vent waste pipe. This was cut out and replaced with a rubber emergency coupling. The repair was checked for free flow and leaks, none were found. We advised the owner to leave the holes in the wall unsealed for a few weeks to allow air flow through this service space in order to let it dry out.

Our investigation of this soil & vent pipework discovered that the whole system had been supported by only one saddle clamp sited in the roof space. This clamp had failed allowing the weight of the pipewwork to bear on a horizontal section behind the stud wall. This was too much for it and a glued coupling had finally given way allowing the pipework to drop approx 200-300mm. The joint had partially cracked and partially come apart indicating that it may not have been properly bonded in the first place. We also noted that little attempt had been made to support this horizontal section, or indeed much of the rest of the pipework, during the initial installation. Little or no access to this service space was provided and given both hot and cold water supplies are routed in this space this is not ideal.

Further investigation in the roof space found a small leak on an access cap attached to the boiler condenser drain off tundish pipework, this was also replaced. We also found a cracked 110mm plastic tee joint, this appears to have happened when the whole system dropped. As this is on the vent/anti airlock side of the pipe work (no water passes through this part) this crack was repaired with adhesive.

Finally, extra supports were placed under the horizontal section to prevent it from being under undue loads in the future.
    Last edited by Albannach; 10 September 2009, 20:35.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Cheers! does sound better,

Comment

Your final paragraph should really contain what is required labour and material wise to bring the whole system up to minimum requirements.

(my opinion)
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Just to be picky, joints are solvent welded not glued, and if hot and cold water services are in the same void, both should be insulated (and clipped securely) the hot to retain heat and the cold to avoid condensation forming. If the water pipes are run horizontally they should idealy be 100mm 4" apart with the hot uppermost to avoid heat transfer hot to cold.
          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
          Tony

Comment

I met the building manager for the marina complex this last monday and showed him what the problem was and what was req John, it's pretty much up to requrements now, it was him that wanted me to write a report on the leak and what caused it, to surport it properly the bl00dy wall would have to come down i reccon, anyway the main section is now supported ok,

Andy!! can i change the text colour of your reply? copy'd and pasted onto word but yellow on white!! can hardly see it or can i change it on word, the boy wonder's not in yet so cant ask him, cheers

Comment

Changed it for you.

Comment

is it just me laughing my t1ts off at resturant name?

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                  is it just me laughing my t1ts off at resturant name?
                  Probably.

Comment

Cheer's Andy (albannach) Andy (bdt) they should have called it "memorys of last night" ya should meet the man, even funnier! the most annoying cack handed fecker i've ever met,

Comment

Working...
                    X