Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
    Fixed that for ya
    You reckon civil offences are legal then? And please don't miss quote me.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I buy the CD and rip it myself. Then at least I know what it will play on, and what quality it is.

The CDs I buy are generally older, so are usually available for a few quid off eBay. For single tracks, I use iTunes, but try to find the tune on iTunes+ first, then there's no copy protection etc.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        You reckon civil offences are legal then? And please don't miss quote me.
        Ah, finally got a reaction!

The civil and criminal legal systems run parallel, but for different purposes. Infringing a contract cannot get you locked up, but can get you sued (civil court). Civil proceedings are prosecuted by the wronged party, and the verdict is based on the balance of probability. Criminal proceedings are prosecuted by the state, and the verdict based on "beyond reasonable doubt."

"Illegal" concerns breaking a law. Now this is where I am admittedly fuzzy, but copyright is a contract, and any prosecution is normally pursued by the wronged party, not the state.

But any way you string it, there's a name for infringing copyright, and it's not theft - it's copyright infringement. While there are some superficial similarities, they are entirely different things. The only reason 'theft' has been co-opted to mean "copyright infringement" is cos it sounds sexier.

There's a sensible debate to be had about lengths of copyright terms, what consists of infringement, what methods of protecting copyright are and aren't acceptable etc, but the waters are so muddied by yells of "theft!" "illegal" that currently it's almost impossible to have that debate.

(I'll get off the soap box now )
        Andy
        http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Technically, ripping from a CD and putting it onto an mp3 player is also a breach of copyright. There have been numerous similar debates with regard of backing up CDs before the mp3 players were common. It is not unusual for a cd to become scratched, particularly in a car, but to keep a backup, even if you own the original is a breach of your licence agreement which you enter into upon purchase. To download a file illegally, even though it is copyright you do not technically enter into this agreement and thus can copy it legally, even though you do not have legal rights to own the copy. It all gets terribly confusing.

How many people who have legitimately purchased a tune from itunes (or other legal site) could produce a receipt for it on request? If you were stopped and the police had grounds to beleive you had a tune illegally (and any mp3 file gives grounds for such a belief) then they have the power to impound not only the media in which it is stored, but any means you have of playing it back. Ie your car! as they won't be removing your radio.

I have heared stories of DJs who have legally downloaded tracks only to have their whole show impounded because they could not produce receipts for them.

Therefore, regardless of where you downloaded something or whether you ripped it from a CD, potentially if you have an mp3 file, you are at risk of being prosecuted.

Comment

Ah, finally got a reaction!
            Yep, because you mis quoted me.

You also contradicted yourself in your reply, but I can't be arsed to respond to it fully as I'm not interested in the arguement.

So, unless you can tell me a good place to buy reasonably priced and legal MP3s, please don't reply.

Comment

I essence, there is no where to buy a good quality reasonably priced mp3 legally. As you have discovered, you can often get the CD for less than the cost of the mp3, plus the CD is also going to be of better quality.

The ripping of the CD onto an mp3 player is dubious as regards the law though as technically it breaches the copyright agreement. That is why a lot of people download illegally.

If they are potentially breaking the law by ripping a cd to mp3 then why not take it a step further into illegal downloads?

Comment

Was actually trying really hard, and don't think I did misquote (that would take a quote, for a start), but as many others have said, buy a CD, then rip it to mp3. It's the easiest, the most future proof, often the cheapest, and gives you the most control.

(you're welcome, by the way )
                Andy

Comment

Was actually trying really hard, and don't think I did misquote (that would take a quote, for a start),
                  What part of the quote in THIS post isn't a quote?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    What part of the quote in THIS post isn't a quote?
                    Fair enough, that was meant to be a joke, I was talking about my last post.

Enjoy your ipod!
                    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsDigital View Post
                      I essence, there is no where to buy a good quality reasonably priced mp3 legally. As you have discovered, you can often get the CD for less than the cost of the mp3, plus the CD is also going to be of better quality.

The ripping of the CD onto an mp3 player is dubious as regards the law though as technically it breaches the copyright agreement. That is why a lot of people download illegally.

If they are potentially breaking the law by ripping a cd to mp3 then why not take it a step further into illegal downloads?
                      ripping from a CD you bought yourself isn't illegal. If you're doing it for backup purposes.
                      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Is there such a thing as a civil offence?
                        I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                          ripping from a CD you bought yourself isn't illegal. If you're doing it for backup purposes.
                          It is in the UK BBC
                          I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by 24Seven View Post
                            It is in the UK BBC
                            Why am I not suprised? If there is any way to rip Joe Public off legaly its done in this country. Personaly I dont "file share" but when I cant even backup cd,s that I have purchased and not infringe copyright I do feel that I may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb

I've a load of AC/DC ect. PM me
                            Fcuk em!!!
                            I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

I've got a napster account. Think it's about £8 / month for as many dowloads as you want.

Files are copy protected but can be used on the pc downloaded to and i'm sure there's an option to transfer them to i-pods as they are DRM devices.
                              My other cars a QUAD
                              (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                              http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

HMV, Play.com etc etc, all cater for mp3 downloads, haven't looked at them for ages but I'm sure they still do it.
                                Neal

Comment

Working...
                                X