• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Bo11ocks.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
      Both.
      Unfortunately it people can't look at both, I speak from experiance. How many times have you seen someone jam on the brakes because they've seen a speed camera, even though they were actually doing the speed limit, I've lost count.
      Recently they have installed a falshing light telling you to slow down side roads ahead on a road near me, they dropped the speed limit from 60 to 40, but the signs still light up when you're doing 30. I've experianced non-locals see the flashing sign and jam on their brakes, mainly because they were watching the road and not their speedo and because the sign flashed presumed they'd exceeded the speedlimit. With the junctions ahead I'd sooner they were watching the road.

Zero tolerance will result in accidents because people will become so obsessed with watching their speedos that they will miss things happening around them.

Of course if we had heads up displays (the techology is there, and it's not too expensive) then that would cure the problem.

Please don't think I'm advocating speeding, I'm not. It's just I believe that the roads would be more dangerous if people are to preocupied with speed, and not with the entire driving package.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
        It's Bo11ocks.
        I think you're spot on there. Looks remarkably similar to this:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/point-to-...eed-hoax.shtml

Can anyone in the area confirm the identity of these cameras?

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/speed-camera-types.htm

Done a bit of a search online and can't find anything to confirm new cameras on 1st Aug 2009 and it would be availble under freedom of information act (at least I assume so).

Comment

Oh, and with regard to the allowance of 77mph in a 70mph zone this is untrue as well.

Speeding is illegal. End of. 70mph is allowed. 70.1mph is not.

Police commonly allow 10% over the speed limit before they prosecute (I have seen this myself in an old copy of a Lancashire traffic police document for example) and they have to make an allowance for the scientific accuracy of any radar equipmet, etc, that they are using (otherwise it just wouldn't stack up in court) hence why the rozzers get their gear calibrated on a regular basis.

Construction and use regulations (Type Approval) state that a speedometer:

1. must never indicate less than the actual speed, i.e. it should not be possible to inadvertently speed because of an incorrect speedometer reading.

2. The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h at specified test speeds. For example, at 80 km/h, the indicated speed must be no more than 92 km/h.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...75L0443:EN:NOT

Basically, a speedometer should not under estimate your speed and should not over estimate it by more than 10%. So your speedometer may be indicating 70mph when you are actually doing something like 63mph.

Comment

Working...
          X