fuel saving hints please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel saving hints please....

Well it's been a fortnight and I must say that driving my Surf has been a delight, though I must remember that using kickdown shouldn't be part of my normal driving technique!!! This has led to a bit of an issue with my wife as I only managed 361 km's between fuel stops last week!

Apart from driving sensibly, what can I do to the car to help increase fuel consumption?

Damian
    Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

get wifey to push to save on fuel.......and dont try to keep up with Linda in the black bullet

you might be lucky to get up to 27 to the gallon on a run when you are conservative on the loud pedal
    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by Damian
      Well it's been a fortnight and I must say that driving my Surf has been a delight, though I must remember that using kickdown shouldn't be part of my normal driving technique!!! This has led to a bit of an issue with my wife as I only managed 361 km's between fuel stops last week!

Apart from driving sensibly, what can I do to the car to help increase fuel consumption?

Damian
      Make wifey take the bus.

Comment

Cant be done mate, i have tried to find the leak on my petrol tank but there doesnt appear to be one, i can only assume they all use this much petrol!
        [IMG]http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/public/coppermine/albums/userpics/10024/surf3.jpg[/IMG]

Big 'n' beautiful!

Comment

the best i've managed unladen with 35psi is 26mpg on 75% motorway, at about 60-70mph with air cond not used and windows closed. i'd expect an extra 3-5mpg if it was a manual.
          [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Gas Hog

Get a Fiesta - or some other small car - cos the Surf don't do economy!!

Rob

Comment

round town

so how much mpg is one lookin at round town in a 2.4 auto ???????

Comment

Originally posted by doogie
                so how much mpg is one lookin at round town in a 2.4 au
                to ???????
                About 22 mpg around town seems to be about average.

Ken.
                God bless gaffer tape and mastic!

Comment

Mpg

Most I've managed in the three weeks I've had the Surf is 24.7mpg on a mostly Motorway/dual carriageway run, including a run fully loaded with 4 up and a full load of luggage up the M3 from Southampton to Heathrow with the aircon on most of the way last Sunday. I know my old Volvo would have been a bit more economic but not nearly as much fun (so much so the "Boss" wants to drive it all the time!!!).
                  Mike G

Comment

had mine a week today and does around 22........25ish,mixture of town and long runs,hey i knew this before i bought it so now we live with it...
                    and anyway it beats the living hell out of my little ols suzuki swift...

Comment

you want a fuel saving tip. GET THE BUS
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Hmmm, thanks for the constructive comments, maybe I'll get V8 fitted with LPG..... that would be fun!

Damian
                        Damian

Comment

I only managed 220miles between tanks BUT that did include a 100mile run with 2.5 ton of trailer and car on the back from watford this afternoon;

Comment

Originally posted by Damian
                            Hmmm, thanks for the constructive comments, maybe I'll get V8 fitted with LPG..... that would be fun!

Damian
                            Its been done already and works a treat, could be the way to go for a short time, til they start upping the tax on that too.

Comment

Originally posted by mick b
                              I only managed 220miles between tanks BUT that did include a 100mile run with 2.5 ton of trailer and car on the back from watford this afternoon;
                              Is that 220 miles or km's? I hope it's miles!! It didn't seem too bad until I realised that 361 was km's and not miles!

Just think, I could fit a really huge LPG tank where the spare wheel fits underneath!

But then, what about running it veg oil, anyone tried it?

Damian
                              Damian

Comment

Working...
                              X