coolant and oil, leaking rad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant and oil, leaking rad...

Back from 3000 stunning miles through Europe without a hiccup (just as well as I left my toolbox at my brother's place as we left...), we drove to B&Q about 2 weeks ago and noticed steam coming out the expansion tank vent.

Reckoned the coolant was low, so decided to do a complete change of that and the engine oil, then while I was at it the ATF, transfer case and front and rear diff oil. All done now and running sweetly, but the coolant took quite a lot of flushing to get the gunk all out...

And of course, when had a look at it 2 days ago, the radiator has sprung a leak. So that explains why the coolant was low, which explains why it was steaming, so that's good. And it also explains the slight peeling paint on the bottom of the radiator.

I've found a reasonably local place that have said they will pressure test the system, find the leak, and repair/recondition the radiator for about £40-£50. Sounds like a good price to me, any reason not to go with it?
    Andy
    http://www.surfingafrica.net

If they can do a good job on the leak repair then it should be OK but get them to check it over fully (and preferably clean out the cooling fins) before re-installing it as you don't want it to spring a leak on another weak point after going through the trouble of getting in repaired.

Alternatively, look at getting a new or fully reconditioned rad from Roughtrax. A fair bit more ££'s but peace of mind can be worth it.
    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
      Alternatively, look at getting a new or fully reconditioned rad from Roughtrax. A fair bit more ££'s but peace of mind can be worth it.
      That sounds the best bet. If it has gone in one place, there's a good chance it may not be reliable, as you mentioned above.

Comment

My impression was that they re-solder & re-fin the entire radiator - a proper recondition. Does Roughtrax do any more than that?
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
          My impression was that they re-solder & re-fin the entire radiator - a proper recondition. Does Roughtrax do any more than that?
          If they recored it, it would cost a damned sight more than £50 quid. They'll solder the leak and nothing more, I would guess, going on that price they've quoted you.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
            If they recored it, it would cost a damned sight more than £50 quid. They'll solder the leak and nothing more, I would guess, going on that price they've quoted you.
            Good to know. Think I'll take it to them and see exactly what service they provide then, before making my mind up.

New rad from roughtrax only £182, is it as good as the original, or would it be likely to spring a leak in a couple of years?
            Andy

Comment

Good to know. Think I'll take it to them and see exactly what service they provide then, before making my mind up.
              If I recall correctly, a full recore would be around the £200+ price. If they can do a good repair and guarantee it, (and possibly replace any borderline parts for a reasonable price), I'd go with the local place. You would want some guarantee that it was a lasting repair though.

New rad from roughtrax only £182, is it as good as the original, or would it be likely to spring a leak in a couple of years?
              OEM is as good as the original. Anything else probably won't be to quite the same standard. The Rtrax ones are apparently okay though.

Comment

I've just been in the same situation, I decided to buy new from Roughtrax. After looking around, thinking of resoldering ect. I'm glad I did what I did. The rad from RT looks a good quality piece of kit I suppose time will tell.

Comment

i had a after market rad (brandnew £200) i also had a toyota rad also brand new
                  the only difference between them was the toyota one was about 6kg heavier
                  than the after market one so i gave the after market one away
                  and used the toyota one
                  325 from toyota tho
                  125 quid more than anywere else but worth it in my opinion
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

93L 3ltr ! must be the time the rads give up and become water features ! Just changed mine for an after market replacement £140 from South Yorks Radiators, oh and four hours later fitted and checked , my scraped knuckles are now healed !
                    Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
                      93L 3ltr ! must be the time the rads give up and become water features !
                      lol, yeah! In fact took it to the radiator place here and they reckoned it isn't too bad, but needs a good clean up (like I needed them to tell me that!). He pointed out a few things that made him think the radiator has been re-cored at some point in the past anyway, but he reckons it is the original factory fitted one.

Said for day to day use it would be fine for a bit longer (only a very small drip...), but that since we're planning to drive to Cape Town in it we should take it out, clean it and take it in to them to do a proper inspection. Seemed like a decent guy, very knowledgeable, and the place has a very good reputation, so happy enough with that. Will decide what to do at that point.
                      Andy

Comment

Working...
                      X