Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Hilux 4Runner

Hi guys
    I am looking at buying a 4Runner from a local dealer and since i come from the Car world i thought i would see if there are any problems / things i should look out for.

Basically its a 4Runner 3.0TD its done about 129000 miles and has had what seems to be a long list of what i would call major things done.

Clutch
    Cylinder Head
    Cooling radiator

There is a private plate on it so i keep forgetting how old it is...

I am test driving the car this afternoon so will see what its like to drive something this big.

PS nice site!!!
    Always room for more power!!!!

Newby saying Hi...

OK I bought a Surf at the weekend.

Its a 3.0 TD on an L Plate, its had most of the things i was worried about done, The head was changed a few months ago, its done 125k on the clock, all the electrics work, even the Air Con, brakes work a treat, infact i was quite happy with the whole thing. One Niggly thing is that on Full lock to the off side there is a nocking which i can only imagine is the Drive shaft.

Anybody know how much this costs to sort.

Its had a 2" lift all the shocks have been upgraded at sometime as well got Recaro seats, the drivers needs a recover but i am happy with the whole thing, just need to go collect it at the weekend now as its over 100 Miles away.

Comment

It's more likely to be a dry lock stop, a blob of grease (or copperslip) will normally cure it.

Look for a semi-circluar bracket by the brake backplate and a round headed button on the wishbone
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650 View Post
        It's more likely to be a dry lock stop, a blob of grease (or copperslip) will normally cure it.

Look for a semi-circluar bracket by the brake backplate and a round headed button on the wishbone
        Thats what it was with mine! on full lock a horrible dry grinding knock that sounds expensive. It was........................... .............................. .............................. ................not. A blob or two of grease and jobs a goodun.

Brummie

Oh! I forgot. Welcome.
        I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Well my Surf will hopefully be delivered end of this week, so will try that first before i start to think the worst then.

Oh its a SSRG 3.0 TD with i Limited on the back

, UPRATED SPRINGS AND TORSION BARS AND ADJUSTABLE PANARD ROD AND LIMITED SLIP REAR DIFF

Apparently.

and thanks for the welcome

Comment

welcome madmanc

just to say the guys on here are brill, they know everything there is to know and more and you can get anything you might possibly need without paying stupid main dealer money.

I came from Jeep (6 years) via Ford Explorer (4 weeks..what a crock of sh1t) to 4 runner (3 years I think and hopefully for many years to come subject to me not being tempted by a 3rd gen).

I am in Leicester, you havn't brought it from a garage on Middleton St by any chance?

Comment

Hey thanks for the welcome....

That 4Runner has had a lot of work done to it and I appreciate that it could be a nice vehicle, but when I test drove it I was actually very disappointed in its performance . I took it down the mad mile and only just about managed to get 70Mph out of it, the brakes were very strange and at one point I thought it was not actually going to stop .

If you know the Dealer or anybody that could be interested in it then I would advise having a good look at the brakes and see why its soo sluggish, yes I come from a petrol 1.8 Astra coupe with rather nice performance I might add but I was expecting a great deal from a 3.0L TD.

But that’s my opinion of the car, so I casted my net further, test drove one in Stone which made me think again about something this large it had a couple problems (auto Box caused some concern and it tram lined with every bump in the road). So got back onto Ebay and saw one in Birkenhead which I again test drove and it was exactly as I expected and was a really nice drive.

I also told the current owner about the Clunking from the Wheels and he has since turned the Pinch bolt round and greased the Lockstops and apparently its now clunk free as Brummie has all ready stated.

Cheers guys

Comment

Working...
              X