• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky Speedo

My speedo stick at the top.

Sort of between 4 and 60-70.

Is this common ?
    Any ideas ?
    Do I just need a bit of WD40 on the thing, is is likely to be rubbing on something, is the speedo cable at fualt.
    Just looking for some guesses.

I it easy to take the front of the console off and take a look.
    Do I need to take off the whole dash like when I changed my stereo, or is it easier ?

Cheers

No mention of what year surf you have, you could also update your profile.

Comment

It's a 10 year old second gen

Comment

Originally posted by rob88
        My speedo stick at the top.

Sort of between 4 and 60-70.

Is this common ?
        Any ideas ?
        Do I just need a bit of WD40 on the thing, is is likely to be rubbing on something, is the speedo cable at fualt.
        Just looking for some guesses.

It could just be where the needle has been pushed on too hard when the face was changed.

I it easy to take the front of the console off and take a look.
        Do I need to take off the whole dash like when I changed my stereo, or is it easier ?

I think you will have to drop the bottom part of the dash, so yes very much like when you changed the radio.

Cheers

Comment

As Andy has said it could well be thwhere the needle has been pushed on too hard, it could also be due to an improberly trimmed/cut dial face, basically anything which allows any portion of the needle to make direct contact with the dial.
          It is not likely to be caused by the cable rubbing or catching on anything.
          Have you got the original Kpm face or a replacement Mph face?
          Has it always done this or is it a recent problem?

The greater detail you can give, the easier it is to try to diagnose.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
            As Andy has said it could well be thwhere the needle has been pushed on too hard, it could also be due to an improberly trimmed/cut dial face, basically anything which allows any portion of the needle to make direct contact with the dial.
            It is not likely to be caused by the cable rubbing or catching on anything.
            Have you got the original Kpm face or a replacement Mph face?
            Has it always done this or is it a recent problem?

The greater detail you can give, the easier it is to try to diagnose.
            Also if it's 10 years old it will have the elctronic speedo. Probably the speedo face is not on square and catching on the pin or the needle itself pushed on too hard and catching on the face.

You need to remove the drivers side bottom of the dashboard - 4 or 5 screws and a bolt. Then unscrew the flat part of the dash - you will need to remove the heater knobs and the heater trim panel and unscrew the screws above the instruments and the ones in the heater area and the ones hidden under the lower dash panel that you have removed. This should allow you to pull forward the flat dash panel and unclip the plugs from the hazard and rear screen heater switches. Then remove the panel. Unscrew the 4 screws from the instrument cluster and pull it forward enough to unclip the connectors from the circuit board. Remove the cluster.

The cluster is held together by 4 or 5 screw from the back, once undone the cluster will come apart. You can then access the front of the speedo and check what the problem is.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X