Waste oil collection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waste oil collection.

If your collection WVO for your own use do you need to register and get a license? Ive spoke to the environment agency who say its £152 for a license for a small business making a profit from the oil. Now it will be for pursonal use and no profit is to be made. Ive tried to search the forum but to no avail. I do know some people on here have a supply of WVO so was wondering if they needed a license for it?
    Surfin on the tidal waves of mud!

Originally posted by YoungOffroader View Post
    If your collection WVO for your own use do you need to register and get a license? Ive spoke to the environment agency who say its £152 for a license for a small business making a profit from the oil. Now it will be for pursonal use and no profit is to be made. Ive tried to search the forum but to no avail. I do know some people on here have a supply of WVO so was wondering if they needed a license for it?
    If you collect it for personal use and use less than 2500 litres a year, no.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      If you collect it for personal use and use less than 2500 litres a year, no.
      ok thats good. thank you very much.

Comment

i have been advised to get a carriage licence from the EA for getting rid of scrap trucks.It may be that they are saying you need to have a licence to carry the waste oil
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          i have been advised to get a carriage licence from the EA for getting rid of scrap trucks.It may be that they are saying you need to have a licence to carry the waste oil
          well that was a reply to an email i sent them so i may just pop into the office and have a face to face chat and see what they see to clarify it all up. if they say i don't need a license i will get it in writing with a contact number to show the local chippies

Comment

the licence is a 3 year licence but as i use the same scrap metal merchant as its only 2 mins down the road and i have take 4 truck shells there in the last month then i was told it would be better especially if i was going to be doing it on a regular basis

Comment

Isn't the dismantler's thing different? You're running an end of life whatever-it-is-they-call-it business. Young person is only carting some old oil around? That said, if he asks, they'll say a licence is needed and they'll collect the fee too.

Comment

i know the chip shops etc round here are only allowed to send waste oil with registered carriers but this is the first time i have heard it for a private use tho

Comment

I require a waste licence if I carry used electrical equipment, like old consumer units and fiittings I rip out during a rewire.

Just another stealth tax.

They can go and whistle as far as I'm concerned
                  私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                    i know the chip shops etc round here are only allowed to send waste oil with registered carriers but this is the first time i have heard it for a private use tho
                    I got quite involved with the EA on this, as the local restaurant to me insisted he needed to see a waste licence (or waste transport licence) or at least a licence number to put on his forms.

I contacted the EA (and my local council and a variety of institutions) and they were quite helpful. No, you don't need a licence as detailed in the posts above if it is below a certain amound and is for your own personal use. I even got the EA man to confirm this by email and in hard copy by post, confirming that I was "licence exempt" so that I could show it to mr restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                      I even got the EA man to confirm this by email and in hard copy by post, confirming that I was "licence exempt" so that I could show it to mr restaurant.
                      Can you give/show/forward these exemptions?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        Can you give/show/forward these exemptions?
                        I can copy and paste his email.........sorry for the long post.....and I think most of it is available online....but section 5 and 6 details the bit we need, there is also a form we can print off and fill out when collecting (to ensure the supplier of oil has the correct paperwork).

EMAIL:

Small Scale Oil Use‏
                        From: ******, ******** (*******.********@environment-agency.gov.uk)
                        You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
                        Sent: 17 February 2009 16:33:53
                        To: ****.*******@hotmail.com

Dear Mark

Thank you for your recent query about Small Scale Domestic Biodiesel Production.

Our current position on Small Scale Domestic Biodiesel Production is detailed in the following Questions and Answers:

1. What is "biodiesel"?

"Biodiesel" is defined as methyl (or ethyl) esters of fatty acids, produced by the trans-esterification of vegetable oils or tallow with methanol (or ethanol). Some diesel-substitute fuels are made by physical blending of straight vegetable oil with hydrocarbon but these bio-fuels are not called "biodiesel".

2. What is "domestic biodiesel production"?

"Domestic biodiesel production" is production "carried on as a domestic activity in connection with a private dwelling" (Environmental Permitting Regs, Schedule 1, Part 1, paragraph 3(f)). This means you must make and store the biodiesel at or adjacent to your house, and make it solely for the use of you and your family. If you sell some biodiesel or barter or swap it for gain, it will cease to be "domestic production".

3. Is domestic biodiesel production covered by IPPC?

No, not if you make and use it in accordance with the requirements above. Domestic production is not a listed activity described in Schedule 1, Part 2 of the EP Regs - so IPPC requirements do not apply.

4. Is other small-scale biodiesel production also exempt from IPPC?

Some is. If you make less than 5000 litres/year (even if there is a commercial aspect) the EA considers that the activity can be counted as being below industrial scale - and so is not covered by IPPC. Thus, the biodiesel production activities which are considered to be exempt from IPPC are:

Domestic production for personal use;
                        Collective production (less than 5000 litres per year) by a properly constituted mutual club or community group for their own use.
                        Production (less than 5000 litres per year) by businesses (e.g. farmers, taxi drivers) for vehicles used for both work and personal use.
                        If you make more than 5000 litres per year you will be required to apply for an IPPC permit as a chemical installation (EP Regs, Schedule 1 Part 2, Section 4.1 A(1) (a)(ii))

5. Do I need a Waste Carriers Licence to transport used cooking oil if I am buying it for my own use?

You do not need a waste carrier's licence if you:

are buying the oil for your own use in your own private vehicle;
                        are not profiting from the activity;
                        are not collecting it or using it as part of a commercial or business enterprise.

So, if you are making biodiesel, you will not need a waste carrier's licence for domestic production (as defined in #1 above) but you will need one for IPPC-permitted activities and <5000 litres/year production in a collective or small business.

6. Does a transfer note need to be completed when the producer of waste cooking oil gives it to somebody complying with the conditions above?

Yes, a transfer note should be completed. You can find a template here:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...er_2044866.pdf

In Section C1 under company address, you would put your home address. In Section C2 you would tick "Exempt from the requirement to register", explaining that you are collecting oil to make biodiesel for your own personal use.

Both parties should keep a copy of this transfer note for their records.

7. Can people sell used vegetable oil on Ebay or advertise it in other ways?

Yes, but only by the producer of the waste. If the used vegetable oil is being sold by a third party it will be necessary for them to be a registered waste broker.

If producers of biodiesel advertise or sell their product they cannot be classed as "domestic" producers and so be automatically exempted from IPPC.

8. How do you suggest we householders dispose of glycerol?

Glycerol can be used in the oleochemical industry, but few markets exist for the small amounts produced by householders. Do not pour glycerol down the drain without getting the authority of your sewage undertaker. Your local authority will provide you with advice on appropriate civic amenity sites which are able to accept this waste.

9. Bunding requirements for Used Cooking Oil, methanol and biodiesel

Whatever the volumes involved we would advise the following:

Oils and chemicals are stored in an area where spills can be contained. This should be within an impermeable bund. A bund is a secondary containment area that holds liquids if the main containers leak or break. If you have one oil storage container in a bund, the bund must be able to hold 110% of its volume. If you have more than one container in a bund, the bund must be able to hold 25% of the total volume of the containers or 110% of the largest container’s volume. Bunds should be inspected regularly and rainwater removed;
                        Tanks should be located at least 10 metres from watercourses and steps should be taken to minimise the risk of damage to the tanks/bund by impact.
                        Methanol and the mixtures containing methanol (e.g. reactor contents, waste glycerol) have low flash points so they should be located so that the risks of fire and its subsequent spreading are minimised.

For oil stored at domestic premises (including vegetable oil and biodiesel), if any of the oil storage containers is more than 3,500 litres the Oil Storage Regulations apply. (Where the premises are not domestic, the Regulations generally apply if any container stored outside is greater than 200 litres capacity.)

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...l/default.aspx

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/63229.aspx

10. When does waste vegetable oil cease to be waste?

Waste vegetable oil ceases to be classified as a waste at the point of combustion in a vehicle’s engine. However, the Environment Agency has developed a low risk position whereby biodiesel produced from waste cooking oil is not subject to waste regulation during distribution as long as it is stored securely.

Waste activities must not be carried out in a manner that causes or is likely to cause pollution or harm to human health. In practice, where the activity is subject to IPPC, there are no additional on-site waste management requirements - and where it is "domestic production" or <5000 litre/year IPPC-exempted production it is likely to be covered by our low risk waste position (LRW03) so, similarly, there should be no formal waste regulation requirements.

The low risk waste position for used vegetable oil and biodiesel manufacture covers:

· The storage of up to 5000 litres of cooking oil prior to recovery;

· The treatment of up to 250 litres at anytime of waste cooking oil to produce biodiesel;

· The secure storage of waste derived biodiesel (a fuel derived from the treatment of waste cooking oil and animal fat);

· The recovery of waste derived biodiesel as a fuel in motor vehicles.

Waste activities must not be carried out in a manner that causes or is likely to cause pollution or harm to human health. If we consider that an activity is or is likely to pollute or cause harm we will consider legal action.

The storage of the waste cooking oil must be in a secure place. A place is secure if all reasonable precautions are taken to ensure that the waste cannot escape from it and members of the public are unable to gain access to the waste.

11. Are there any Health and Safety Guidelines I should follow when making biodiesel?

Yes. These guidelines from the HSE website should be followed:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/biodiesel.htm

12. What about the lower rate of excise duty on biodiesel?

You can find out more information on this from the HM Revenue and Customs website:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_000205

If you would like further clarification on any of these questions or have an additional question not included, please do not hesitate to contact us on 08708 506506, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. You can also email us via enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

I trust that this information is helpful.

Kind Regards

Customer Service Advisor
                        NCCC - Sheffield
                        Environment Agency
                        8 http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk
                        08708 506 506

Comment

Basically i would print a copy of this email and take it the whoever is stating you need the licence so they know them selves and as long as they get a copy of whats stated in No.6 then everythings ok.
                          I know i am meant to have the licence as i am wanting to start working for myself so need the carriage licence.I don't mind having to pay if it means not having the EA on my back etc.I got enough crap going on at the moment with our Polish/African neighbours so the least i give them to drop me in the shit the better

Comment

bit of additional info here and a good site to use for reference

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...d.php?tid=8033

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                              I can copy and paste his email.........sorry for the long post.....and I think most of it is available online....but section 5 and 6 details the bit we need, there is also a form we can print off and fill out when collecting (to ensure the supplier of oil has the correct paperwork).

EMAIL:

Small Scale Oil Use‏
                              From: ******, ******** (*******.********@environment-agency.gov.uk)
                              You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
                              Sent: 17 February 2009 16:33:53
                              To: ****.*******@hotmail.com

Dear Mark

Thank you for your recent query about Small Scale Domestic Biodiesel Production.

Our current position on Small Scale Domestic Biodiesel Production is detailed in the following Questions and Answers:

1. What is "biodiesel"?

"Biodiesel" is defined as methyl (or ethyl) esters of fatty acids, produced by the trans-esterification of vegetable oils or tallow with methanol (or ethanol). Some diesel-substitute fuels are made by physical blending of straight vegetable oil with hydrocarbon but these bio-fuels are not called "biodiesel".

2. What is "domestic biodiesel production"?

"Domestic biodiesel production" is production "carried on as a domestic activity in connection with a private dwelling" (Environmental Permitting Regs, Schedule 1, Part 1, paragraph 3(f)). This means you must make and store the biodiesel at or adjacent to your house, and make it solely for the use of you and your family. If you sell some biodiesel or barter or swap it for gain, it will cease to be "domestic production".

3. Is domestic biodiesel production covered by IPPC?

No, not if you make and use it in accordance with the requirements above. Domestic production is not a listed activity described in Schedule 1, Part 2 of the EP Regs - so IPPC requirements do not apply.

4. Is other small-scale biodiesel production also exempt from IPPC?

Some is. If you make less than 5000 litres/year (even if there is a commercial aspect) the EA considers that the activity can be counted as being below industrial scale - and so is not covered by IPPC. Thus, the biodiesel production activities which are considered to be exempt from IPPC are:

Domestic production for personal use;
                              Collective production (less than 5000 litres per year) by a properly constituted mutual club or community group for their own use.
                              Production (less than 5000 litres per year) by businesses (e.g. farmers, taxi drivers) for vehicles used for both work and personal use.
                              If you make more than 5000 litres per year you will be required to apply for an IPPC permit as a chemical installation (EP Regs, Schedule 1 Part 2, Section 4.1 A(1) (a)(ii))

5. Do I need a Waste Carriers Licence to transport used cooking oil if I am buying it for my own use?

You do not need a waste carrier's licence if you:

are buying the oil for your own use in your own private vehicle;
                              are not profiting from the activity;
                              are not collecting it or using it as part of a commercial or business enterprise.

So, if you are making biodiesel, you will not need a waste carrier's licence for domestic production (as defined in #1 above) but you will need one for IPPC-permitted activities and <5000 litres/year production in a collective or small business.

6. Does a transfer note need to be completed when the producer of waste cooking oil gives it to somebody complying with the conditions above?

Yes, a transfer note should be completed. You can find a template here:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...er_2044866.pdf

In Section C1 under company address, you would put your home address. In Section C2 you would tick "Exempt from the requirement to register", explaining that you are collecting oil to make biodiesel for your own personal use.

Both parties should keep a copy of this transfer note for their records.

7. Can people sell used vegetable oil on Ebay or advertise it in other ways?

Yes, but only by the producer of the waste. If the used vegetable oil is being sold by a third party it will be necessary for them to be a registered waste broker.

If producers of biodiesel advertise or sell their product they cannot be classed as "domestic" producers and so be automatically exempted from IPPC.

8. How do you suggest we householders dispose of glycerol?

Glycerol can be used in the oleochemical industry, but few markets exist for the small amounts produced by householders. Do not pour glycerol down the drain without getting the authority of your sewage undertaker. Your local authority will provide you with advice on appropriate civic amenity sites which are able to accept this waste.

9. Bunding requirements for Used Cooking Oil, methanol and biodiesel

Whatever the volumes involved we would advise the following:

Oils and chemicals are stored in an area where spills can be contained. This should be within an impermeable bund. A bund is a secondary containment area that holds liquids if the main containers leak or break. If you have one oil storage container in a bund, the bund must be able to hold 110% of its volume. If you have more than one container in a bund, the bund must be able to hold 25% of the total volume of the containers or 110% of the largest container’s volume. Bunds should be inspected regularly and rainwater removed;
                              Tanks should be located at least 10 metres from watercourses and steps should be taken to minimise the risk of damage to the tanks/bund by impact.
                              Methanol and the mixtures containing methanol (e.g. reactor contents, waste glycerol) have low flash points so they should be located so that the risks of fire and its subsequent spreading are minimised.

For oil stored at domestic premises (including vegetable oil and biodiesel), if any of the oil storage containers is more than 3,500 litres the Oil Storage Regulations apply. (Where the premises are not domestic, the Regulations generally apply if any container stored outside is greater than 200 litres capacity.)

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...l/default.aspx

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/63229.aspx

10. When does waste vegetable oil cease to be waste?

Waste vegetable oil ceases to be classified as a waste at the point of combustion in a vehicle’s engine. However, the Environment Agency has developed a low risk position whereby biodiesel produced from waste cooking oil is not subject to waste regulation during distribution as long as it is stored securely.

Waste activities must not be carried out in a manner that causes or is likely to cause pollution or harm to human health. In practice, where the activity is subject to IPPC, there are no additional on-site waste management requirements - and where it is "domestic production" or <5000 litre/year IPPC-exempted production it is likely to be covered by our low risk waste position (LRW03) so, similarly, there should be no formal waste regulation requirements.

The low risk waste position for used vegetable oil and biodiesel manufacture covers:

· The storage of up to 5000 litres of cooking oil prior to recovery;

· The treatment of up to 250 litres at anytime of waste cooking oil to produce biodiesel;

· The secure storage of waste derived biodiesel (a fuel derived from the treatment of waste cooking oil and animal fat);

· The recovery of waste derived biodiesel as a fuel in motor vehicles.

Waste activities must not be carried out in a manner that causes or is likely to cause pollution or harm to human health. If we consider that an activity is or is likely to pollute or cause harm we will consider legal action.

The storage of the waste cooking oil must be in a secure place. A place is secure if all reasonable precautions are taken to ensure that the waste cannot escape from it and members of the public are unable to gain access to the waste.

11. Are there any Health and Safety Guidelines I should follow when making biodiesel?

Yes. These guidelines from the HSE website should be followed:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/biodiesel.htm

12. What about the lower rate of excise duty on biodiesel?

You can find out more information on this from the HM Revenue and Customs website:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_000205

If you would like further clarification on any of these questions or have an additional question not included, please do not hesitate to contact us on 08708 506506, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. You can also email us via enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

I trust that this information is helpful.

Kind Regards

Customer Service Advisor
                              NCCC - Sheffield
                              Environment Agency
                              8 http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk
                              08708 506 506

Thank you for this. I shall print this off and show them. The link for section 6 doesnt work though so i shall try and see what form that is.

Comment

Working...
                              X