Gen 3 Clocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 3 Clocks

Hi folks, I currently have a Gen2 Surf & a mate is looking to sell his Gen3. Now the clocks on his show 113K & i have asked him if this is miles or km & he's not too sure... I realise that the best way to find out is to drive it a given distance & read how many miles/km's it clocks up over that given distance. But are there any other ways of knowing?

It has a piece of black tape over the K at the bottom of the clocks so it only reads *m/h....
    Did they change the clocks on the Gen3's when they brought them in? Only my Gen2 has a new front facia over the clocks so it still counts in km but the speed reading is in miles!?!?

Cheers in advance. Will

If its chipped, then the odo will read in miles and the speedo face won't be changed, still be stock and only go up to 120 or so. Hence the black mark over over the K in KM's, making it M's

If it has a new speedo face it'll go up to 150 or so, and the odo will still read in K/M's.

Your mate sound liek he has chip fitted to made the speedo read correctly, so i'd say it reads in miles.

The importers should have wound the odo back to make it read the right amount of miles, for what it was in Km's. If they can't be arsed, the sloppy way of doing it is you get a decleration of X amount of distance covered in Km's, then the chip fitted and the rest is in miles on a form when buying it, so you can work out the mileage.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony, so in an ideal world there should be a piece of paperwork stating all this from when it was all done? Also i know these questions are not in the right sections but am i right in thinking that the MPG on the 3ltrs is better than the 2.4lts by quite a bit! Only i'm getting around the 22-24MPG out of my 2.4!!!?

Comment

No you are not right. MPG is pretty much the same for the 2.4 and the 3.0. Ive owned both as have others. The 3rd gen 3.0 is slightly better, dont know if its a bit lighter due to having more plastic or if the fact that mine is intercooled helps.
        It is however not so much better that you would rush out to buy one just on those grounds. If you own a Surf and use it a lot, fuel retailers and oil companies will like you, but then again you wouldnt buy a Surf at all if mpg was an issue.

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
          No you are not right. MPG is pretty much the same for the 2.4 and the 3.0. Ive owned both as have others. The 3rd gen 3.0 is slightly better, dont know if its a bit lighter due to having more plastic or if the fact that mine is intercooled helps.
          It is however not so much better that you would rush out to buy one just on those grounds. If you own a Surf and use it a lot, fuel retailers and oil companies will like you, but then again you wouldnt buy a Surf at all if mpg was an issue.

Bogus
          Its not really that much of an issue mate really! However, the owner of the Gen3 says he can get nearly 30mpg...? It would seem that this may not be the case then??? Yes i use mine quite a bit & the only reason for changing is to have something slightly newer.

Cheers. Will

Comment

You can get 30/32mpg in a 3rd gen, but I only get that on a longish motorway kind of run without being daft with the right foot. Mixed motoring varies and is probably somewhere around 25/26.

Bogus
            Сви можемо

Comment

Well thanks for the info guys. I bought the Gen 3 last week & am loving it! Still finding things that i miss from the Gen 2 like the soft/hard suspension switch lol..

Comment

Just got to sell the Gen 2 now! Also need to get a band expander thingy for the stereo cos Radio 2 is ok but not my usual cup of tea!!!

Comment

Just a thought, for a quick answer. You could measure it against a sat nav, if you have one. My sat nav shows the speed more accurately than the speedo clocks. When it shows I'm doing 30 mph, the sat nav says 27mph. When I put the sat nav in the DAF it corresponds to speedo in that. So I would assume a sat nav measurement in mileage would be more accurate than what the clocks show to determine whether its mileage or kms. Just a thought..............
                  Last edited by murph; 4 October 2009, 18:24.
                  www.grovegarage.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X